Tuesday 21 December 2010

Great week!

I am having a great week!  OK, so it's only Tuesday, but I was featured on One Pretty Thing this weekend (OK, so a lot of people are but to me it's a massive achievement!) and now I've been told that I'll be in the FaveCrafts January newsletter with my counting bean bags!  I am so excited it's like Christmas Eve has come early.  Small things...

Oh, and something else that makes me happy?  Remember my embroidered picture frame?  Here it is with the photo in it, mounted in the frame with the glass.  Love it!


(Project from Quilt a Gift by Barrie Sue Gaudet)

My online "success" also makes up for my frustrating sewing experiences over the weekend.  I'm on the last desperate push for Christmas presents now.  Having decided to abandon the idea of making gifts for my dad and father-in-law (I bought them a jumper instead!), I have now almost finished.  At the weekend we made some Cookies in a Jar, I just have to make labels for them now.  I got the recipe from taste.com.au.  I also made my own version for my dad who's diabetic.  I found a great diabetic dessert cook book last year and now all his presents come from it!  I used a shortbread recipe that just called for some butter to be added to the dry ingredients.  So, just a label for that too and they are done.

Also on the to-do list is a load of baking for presents, my lovely husband has made the gingerbread dough for the gingerbread rabbits and it's in the freezer, I'll get started on the rest of the baking tomorrow night, then hopefully finish it Thursday night.  That's not going to happen is it?  I'll be baking on Christmas Eve too no doubt.  I will be at work all week and I'm hoping they let us go home at lunch time on Christmas Eve as I also have to finish up knitting the ted bed for Rebecca's teddy.  Oh, and I have to do the wrapping and make gift tags.  OK, feeling stressed, time to concentrate on what I HAVE finished!

First up is a lap top cosy for my mum, the pig lover.  I found another pig patterned fabric and decided to use it. 

I wanted a khaki green for the lining but have very little in the way of solid fabrics, I love patterns too much.  Well, I had a brain wave.  I was in Asda and I found some of their Smart Price pillow slips in the right colour - two for just £1.69!  What a bargain is that??  There's well over a metre squared of fabric there when they're unpicked.  I used this excellent tutorial at Crap I've Made. 

(That lining IS khaki, once again it's my rubbish photography!)
I did struggle a bit with the zip.  Once I'd sewn it up, the ends of the zipper tape were protruding, a little handsewing sorted it out but I'm not sure where I went wrong.  It certainly wasn't down to the tutorial - the instructions were fantastic, I think it was just my lack of experience, it was only my second ever zip!

I also managed to finish up the caffetiere cosy for my brother.  Well, one of them.  I'd made two, one for a large 6 cup caffetiere, one for a small 2 cup caffetiere as my brother (a massive coffee lover) has both.  I'd measured and cut and sewed, then discovered that my great new sewing machine wouldn't put a button hole in them.  I'd used 2 layers of fabric and a layer of wadding but my 1-step button hole was struggling as it couldn't feed the material properly.  No problem I thought, I'll use the manual buttonhole.  Oh, there isn't one on my machine!  So I took them round to my mum's who's got a machine with a 4-step button hole.  Sorted! 

I took my caffetiere cosies home, opened the buttonhole and sewed in the threads, then wrapped them round the caffetieres to see where to sew the button.  Oh.  The large one is fine, but the small one is far too short.  About 6 inches too short!  What happened there??  So I abandoned it, he'll just get the one!

And then there was the i-pod cosy fiasco.  I think I've already mentioned that I've now made two attempts at this simple piece of sewing?  The first was far too small (noticing a theme here??), the second was too bulky to turn.  I would have loved to abandon this project, but mum had specifically asked me for one so I had to do it.  I gave up on the tutes I'd been following and made it the same way I made the accessories pouch back in November.  Success!


I added a silly little piggy bell I'd found.  Here it is with my i-pod inside - yes it's too big!  I'm going to say I did it deliberately so she could fit her ear phones in!!


Notice the pigs are upside down?  At least they are the right way up on the back! 
I know a lot of people are signing off for Christmas, but I'm hoping to do one last post with the ted bed/bag that I've been knitting for what feels like forever, and I'll show you the cookies in the jars too.  If you're leaving blogland before then for a Christmas break, have a very happy Christmas!

7 comments:

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Wendy you had me laughing all the way through this post. I think you have managed to get many wonderful things done even if some were too big or too small. :)
I love the idea of gingerbread bunnies! How fun!
Wishing you a beautiful Christmas my friend. May all your wishes come true!
Smooches to the bunnies for me!
xx, shell

DANA said...

It's linky party time again! I would love to have you come link up and enter my $50 American Express giveaway while you are there!
-Dana

http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/strut-your-stuff-for-christmas.html

Anonymous said...

I think you did great!

Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. Make sure to come by and link up next week!! www.ladybug-blessings.com Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I could really use one of those ipod cases! LOVE that pig fabric....

Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice...

nicolette

AllieMakes! said...

How fun! I bet everybody loved their thoughtful handmade gifts!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

imperfectly natural mama said...

Fab, I like the bag things, is it a laptop case? Love it

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

These are so cute!! Would you mind sharing them at my new linky party this Friday?