Saturday 9 July 2011

Skill Builder Block 3 - Churn Dash



I'm a bit late posting this, I actually sewed up this block last weekend, but didn't download the photos.  For those that don't know, I'm joining in with the Skill Builder Sampler QAL over at Sewn!

This week it was the Churn Dash and I have to say, I was terrified!  It wasn't as scary as I thought.  Once again, Leila's instructions were really clear.

So, without further ado, here it is


I used the same Fig Tree Patisserie and Breakfast at Tiffany's fabrics as for the previous 9 patch block.  I have been asked why I'm not making a quilt and the answer is that I just don't own enough co-ordinating fabrics and I can't afford the investment in enough fabric for a quilt at this time.  So, I had to put my brain at work to decide what I could make with this block and last week's.

I decided that one thing I really could do with is a grocery bag dispenser.  I have quite a lot of plastic bags from the days when I didn't carry reusable ones around and also there are a lot that Mr CA brings home.  I had a flick around the net to find a tutorial but didn't like the dimensions of any of them so I just winged it.  Should that be wung it?




I sewed a couple of strips at the top and bottom, made a hem to feed through some elastic, then sewed the two blocks together.





Pretty and functional!

Right, onwards, I've got the next block to do.  Oh, I've finished the rainbow placemats and completed my binding challenge, I will blog about that later!

4 comments:

Allie said...

I LOVE the churn dash block, I think your project turned out great, especially since you wung it, lol! I need to make this block, I want a whole quilt of it.

RobynLouise said...

Gee that's a flash plastic bag holder you've made using those blocks!

Sandra :) said...

Your wunging turned out wonderfully, lol! I can't wait to see the placemats - I'm glad you got them done - it seems you even got them done in time, too - that's always a bonus!

Anonymous said...

Lovely plastic bag "bag" ;-)!