Pages

Thursday, 31 January 2013

Not so mysterious now

Do you remember a piece of needlepoint I'd started?  I was calling this tapestry as that's what we'd call it in the UK, but I've since found out that it's not correct as a true tapestry is woven.  Anyway, I was working the Mini Mystery needlepoint design from Laura at Two Handed Stitcher, a free needlepoint design presented to us in 3 parts. 

While I was ill, and broadbandless I set to work on part two.  It was obvious by this point that I'd made some major mistakes with my counting - I'm pretty sure the zigzag stitches should have been 4 threads wide and I only did them 3, but I blundered on regardless.


I filled in the rows between zigzags with the eyelet stitch.  I was a bit disappointed it didn't make more of a hole, but maybe I wasn't pulling tight enough.


My stitching looks dreadful close up, I think my canvas was also too big, but I'm not sure!  The silver line in the border was supposed to be a narrow ribbon, but I went with what I had and used a silver "lamé" which is basically a 6-stranded metallic thread that is an absolute BUGGER to sew with.  Everything else is Perle 5, a mixture of DMC and Anchor.  I love Perle cottons.  When I was almost finished stitching this, I had the urge to sort out my threads.  The stranded cottons have 3 thread boxes - blue/green/purple, yellow/orange/red/pink and black/brown/grey/white.  I now also have a box of Perle cotton, sizes 5 and 8, and a box of assorted other threads including tapestry wools, crewel wools, metallics, and blending filament.  If I keep up this embroidery obsession, I'm going to need a bigger house...


For part 3 I added the white zigzaggy-type line.  I had a job chosing a colour as I think I truly messed the piece up with the purple!  Never mind, this is a practice piece, it's not destined for a show!  I loved this stitch method, the line looks fab close up, it really has depth to it.


It's couched down at the intersections with a Madeira metallic thread.  Oh, the other type of thread I have is silk thread.  It is luscious!  I want to buy some more then just sleep on a bed of silk thread...

Anyway, needlepoint finished.  Much practice is definitely needed!  I really enjoyed it and have only scratched the surface of all the stitches there are out there.  I have a book - Stitchopedia with some needlepoint in it so that might be my next point of call.  I perhaps also have to do some more research as I don't like all the canvas on view for this piece but suspect it's the canvas size I used rather than the design as Laura's stitching is gorgeous.



11 comments:

  1. Well, I don't know about you, but it certainly doesn't look dreadful to me! I think it is a lovely, intricate piece of art! It also looks like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely, I'm sure you're the only one who can spot the mistakes! What are you going to do with that panel now? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely Wendy, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These samplers are great for trying out new stitches and seeing what we like and don't like. I love the way the border is finished

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy,
    I found you again!!! I lost track of you. You have been very busy with your craft work. It's just gorgeous.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  6. for what its worth I like the purple. I think all us crafter need bigger houses, to store finished pieces and our stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But beautiful anyway...
    Have a great day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think it's pretty. you are biased by what it was "supposed" to look like, but it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colours you chose and yes that metallic stuff is a pain to work with!!! I have it in gold. Also the blending filament is a pain. The effects are lovely but wow, not worth the frustration! How big is this piece you did? Pillow sized or small?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're going to need a bigger boat! *cue Jaws music here, lol* :D

    It's beautiful - how big is it, and what will you use it for?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know anything about this craft,but it looks beautiful to me!

    ReplyDelete

To comply with EU data collection rules:

I don't collect your data in any shape or form. I will email you a reply to your comment, but I don't keep a record of your email address. If you don't want me to see your email address, don't comment.

I don't collect cookies. I'm not entirely sure what they are or how I'd go about collecting them. Google might though. In fact I'm positive they do. You'll have to ask them what they do with them as I don't know.