Pages

Wednesday, 3 April 2013

silhouette cross stitch

Good morning ladies!  I've shown you the beginnings of this project before, but I got it finished so quick, I didn't really have time to post more updates.  This is #33 on my enormous list - Silhouettes cross stitch.  I bought this kit, which is by Heritage Crafts last November thinking it would be a nice present (completed of course!) for my dad.  He's not really a tram fan, but I don't think he hates them and I think he'll love the sepia, old-fashioned look to it.

Here's how it looked when I first showed you, it's in a 6" square Qsnap frame.



I thought it might be interesting to take a photo after each evening's work to see how it progresses.  Unfortunately, I didn't think of this until I'd got this far:


By this point, I'd sewn some of Mr CA's old shirt fabric round the edges and put it in a 10" frame as the 6" was far too small.  The ruler at the bottom of the picture shows the scale, it's 5" square finished.


I often get asked how I manage to get so much done - craft wise I mean, my family has never asked how I manage to do so much cleaning!  I don't think I do.  I work full-time, often more, and commute 45 minutes each way to work.  I go to bed pretty early - at 10pm usually, as I have to get up at 6am and I need about 10 hours sleep!  (I know that doesn't add up, but I can't go to bed at 8pm, I make up for it at the weekends)  In the space between work and bed, I have random housework to do, cooking dinner on alternate days, cleaning the kitchen, feeding the bunnies... it leaves me with about 1 - 2 hours, occasionally more if I've left work early and Mr CA is cooking. 


Me and Mr CA watch TV in the evenings (I know that sentence is grammatically incorrect, I can never bring myself to say "Mr CA and I", even though I know it's right - it just sounds too posh) but I can't watch TV without something in my hands.  Crochet, embroidery, beadweaving, all are pretty good projects as I can half watch TV as I work.


Each of these photos shows the progression after an evening's work.  Cross stitch is slow, but so satisfying and perfect if I'm really tired.  I do all my sewing, quilting, jewellery making etc at the weekends when I have lots of free time.  Of course I have chores to do and there is some family time in there too, but it does leave me time to get a sewing project or two done.


Anyway, ta-dah!  That back-stitching was a bitch.  I got some of it wrong, but I don't think you can tell if you don't look at the cover of the pattern next to it.  Now I just have to frame it... Looks like that never-never list has been revised!


9 comments:

  1. LOVE this cross stitch, Wendy!!! I don't think I've seen one in sepia colours before. Totally suits the old tram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely. I spend as much time unpicking as I do sewing when I attempt to follow a chart and watch TV at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with your latest finish, I think I would of liked going on trams. I stitch a lot when I am watching tv or should I say listening to it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that cross stitch. The sepia tone is wicked nice. When I watch TV I prefer to be playing online rather than beading/stitching. For one I have lousy light in my livingroom at night; it's pretty dark. For another I'd have to wear my reading glasses which means the TV is blurry. Sometimes I will put the computer down in the afternoons when Russell is home and stitch or work in a colouring books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really looks great. I'm sure your father will love it. I admire anyone who has the skill and patience to do cross-stitch. It's one of the crafts I tried a few times and discovered I just didn't have the patience for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sepia colouring - it's quite cool! I don't think I could cross-stitch and watch tv at the same time, though - I can barely walk and chew gum ... HA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks lovely. I had an urge to cross stitch this week, it's quite therapeutic

    ReplyDelete
  8. AY-MAY-ZING!

    Love it!

    p.s. don't feel you should reply to this comment, it's not reply worthy and I know you're busy, just wanted to tell you you're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

To comply with EU data collection rules:

I don't collect your data in any shape or form. I will email you a reply to your comment, but I don't keep a record of your email address. If you don't want me to see your email address, don't comment.

I don't collect cookies. I'm not entirely sure what they are or how I'd go about collecting them. Google might though. In fact I'm positive they do. You'll have to ask them what they do with them as I don't know.