Friday 6 July 2018

Craft Class - Screen Printing

Last Sunday I went to a craft class at Two Little Magpies. You may (or may not) remember that I've done craft classes at this lovely little handmade shop before.  Once again, the standard of the class was high and it was great fun.

I usually just take photo and whack them in my blog.  This time, a lot of them were taken sideways on, so I tried rotating and cropping a little.  They're looking very odd in this post as I write... I'm hoping they publish ok!  If not, I'll try to redo them.


We were learning to screen print using paper stencils.  We each had a handmade frame.  I thought this was genius, I may just have to make my own!


We cut stencils out of paper and placed them on top of a sheet of paper, under the frame.


Then we squeegeed paint on.  It was acrylic paint with a paint medium mixed in.  I didn't think to take any photos of this stage.


Ta dah!  I used copper paper and a turquoise paint.


You can use each stencil several times, so I added some metallic copper paint into the mix.  I made several more after this, adding a different colour in each time, including a bright pink, but they didn't come out great.  I put the excess paint into a little tub and it made the most amazing metallic purple colour!


Next we were let loose on the shop's stack of paper stencils.  Some hand cut, some cut using a die cut machine.  I found this circles template and picked out some little images to put in each "window".



I printed in silver on black.  I love this!  I'm so chuffed with this stencil/picture/paint and paper combination.  I did a couple more, then started to experiment.


Silver paint on red.  I'm also pleased with this.


Silver on grey, this didn't come out so well.


Possibly my favourite of all.  I used bright pink on orange paper.  Because I couldn't wash the screen between uses as the stencils were stuck to it, some of the silver from previous prints bled through.  I love the effect.


I had a vision of a train of dots in my hand mixed metallic purple on top of the black print.  I got a hole punch and some scrap paper and made a stencil.


I practiced first on the failure print.  I didn't like it.  Experiment over.  I'm glad I tried it on the print I didn't like!


The screens have to be washed between stencils, but it's a quick job, so I thought I'd have a go with some more of the stencils.


One negative gem, one positive.  A mixture of copper and silver paint.  Not exactly sticking to its own side!


I printed these triangles and balloon intending to print over the top, but ran out of time.  Actually, I did another and I DID print over the top - looks like I left that one in the shop as I don't have it!

This was a fantastic workshop, I love Two Little Magpies as a workshop venue and I really enjoyed screen printing, I just wish I were a bit more artistic.  Maybe when I've finished decorating my craft room (yes, still ongoing!), I'll have time to make a frame and experiment some more.

6 comments:

Jane said...

I love screen printing, great fun. Love the circles

Catherine - Hillview Embroidery said...

This looks like a lot of fun! I’ve not done something like this for a long time. Imagine the path this could lead you down.

Rachel said...

This sounds like great fun. There are so many variants on printing that are possible, and so much to explore!

Christine B said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun at this workshop Wendy! Christine x

Sandy said...

Looks like fun, did you print them on paper or fabric or t-shirts? I get the stencils themselves were paper, but wasn't sure I followed the process. Will you then frame them if you printed on paper? Love the ones with the cactus.

FlashinScissors said...

Looks like great fun!
I, too, like the idea of stencilling but not sure I’m artistic enough.
Nice to have a go. You don’t know how your ideas will turn out until you try!
Hugs,
Barbara xx