Friday 29 March 2013

Unstalling a stalled project

#11 on the Massive WIP list stalled last year.  I'd bought a necklace kit from Spellbound Beads (LOVE their stuff) at the NEC a year or so ago.  I got the bits out and started by making the elements using bead cones and headpins with seed beads.  I messed a couple of them up, cut them too short.  Not to worry, I've got loads of headpins.  Ah.  Seed beads don't fit on my headpins.  I did a bit of online shopping and ordered some more, they were also too thick.  Finally, I bought a pack of headpins from Spellbound Beads at the NEC last year, 2012, not the show I went to last week.  


The headpins were put with the kit and it all sat on a shelf until two weekends ago.  What is it that suddenly makes me want to work on a particular thing?  Why leave it all that time untouched, then really want to make it?  Who knows.  So, I got all the bits out again and laid them out on my bead mat.


I thought I'd begin with the headpins.  I have a clear memory of completing half the beading before undoing it.  Why I did that, I have no memory.  It certainly wasn't lack of headpins, all the cone elements were made and ready!  Now I'm really confused - if I didn't need the headpins, why did the project stall?  Did I misread the instructions and think I needed more?  Why did I do half the beading and then undo it?  I will never know.


I completed most of the necklace that weekend, all that needed doing was the stringing on of the final 10 silver beads, a calotte and the clasp attaching.  It sat on the table for a week, then moved to the sideboard.  Why?  No idea.  


And then, and then, I finished it!  Just picked it up and did it.  I closed that calotte (a kind of crimp that you use on the end of beading thread or wire to hold it tight) and snapped the thread.  Marvellous.  I had to strip it down 4 leaves from the end to tie on a new thread before re-stringing it and adding the calotte.  Phew.


I'm not sure if you can make it out, but the calotte is the round silver thing next to the clasp, on both ends.  The main part of this necklace was made up of basic seed bead stringing, then forming some loops for leaves, it wasn't difficult at all.  I really like the effect, it looks dainty and delicate, hopefully it's not too delicate as I am Mrs Clumsy.  

#11 completed!  

15 comments:

Chrissie said...

Great necklace, something very soothing about beading, until it gets tangled or the thread breaks! lol

Anonymous said...

Oh yes I don't miss my calotte using days one bit! I really like the silver cone features.

Shirley said...

It's it funny how we can leave things and then when we do them, we think why did I leave this for so long? Well done on another finish, love the coloursl x

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

Oh boy, I love this. Those are just the colours I would choose too. It is odd, isn't it, why projects are suddenly abandoned like this, who knows why they are laid aside for months. I've done it when half an hour's stitching would complete it. Butterfly brain!! Irene xxx

Sheila said...

Your necklace is very pretty.Love the colors. I've done the same thing when I didn't have much left on a project.

Sheila said...

Love it

JoJo said...

That came out great and you just reminded me I have a beaded watch band kit that I got years ago and couldn't figure out how to make. Every time I got to the same point, the bottom of the bugle beads would slice through my thread and I'd have to start over again. The watch battery died so even if I make the band, I'll have to hunt down a watch battery and I was stunned to find out how much they cost. I need about 6 or more and am unwilling to shell out over $50 for them.

Alison said...

Love the necklace, beautiful colours!

Alison
x

heart of charnwood said...

I think if you are asking anyone to analyse what goes on in your head then that is very dangerous territory!! ;o). Looks really pretty, great choice of colours.

Samantha said...

You're ticking things off like a professional ticker offer-er! I love those shiny coney things on the necklace :)

SuperMomNoCape said...

You do say the most unkind things about yourself sometimes. No one who is truly clumsy could have created such a beautiful necklace with all those teeny, tiny beads and certainly not that stained glass window.

Sandra :) said...

ROTFL I love your "progress" story --- sometimes we stop for no reason, and then weeks or months later, have no idea what stage we're at or why we even stopped, lol. It's very pretty - I really like those silver "cones" (3 of them) in the middle, with the dangly bits!

Jane said...

At least it is finished now, maybe one day, you'll remember what happened, lol. It looks lovely and well worth getting it done, enjoy wearing it

Chris(craft) and Dave(photos) Richards said...

Hi Wendy, Chris Richards here from http://ellascraftcreations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/kwan-tungelegance.html#comment-form
Just to let you know that the KWAN TUNG KIT IS FROM 'Anchor'......
Beautiful necklace by the way !
hugs
Chris Richards
xx

Celtic Thistle said...

Fathoming out how your mind works is definitely a job for the professionals!

The necklace looks lovely, well done for ticking another project off that exceptionally long list :)