Wednesday 16 April 2014

chair cushions

One of the items on my FAL list for the first quarter and this quarter is chair cushions for my dining room.  It's also my ALYOF goal for the month.  Yep, I really want to get these done!  The chairs are quite low and being a short-arse, I need a cushion so I bought the cushion pads and the fabric about 2 years ago.  I pieced together one panel.  I can't find the damn thing!  So I had to work with what I had left, about half a layer cake of Lily and Will (so I used half on one panel?!?) and some yardage.




First up were these Plus blocks by Holly DeGroot in Love Patchwork and Quilting issue 1.  I love this design, I could make a quilt like this...



I've seen Friendship Stars around blogland recently and love the design, I found this Friendship Star in 501 Quilt Blocks.  I probably could have used a bit more brown in this one.



Next I made some flying geese, following the cutting instructions for Fast Geese in 200 Quilt blocks.  I then arranged them and rearranged them until I liked the design.  Having said that, I've just noticed in the photo that the bottom right block and the bottom middle block use the same fabrics... that looks a bit weird...



Look!  Look what I did!!  I accidentally used some bunny fabric!  If I'd spotted it, I would have saved it for my bunny quilt.  Damn!



The flying geeses were not without their errors.  I sewed 10 sets right side to wrong side.  Ooops. I unpicked and resewed, then when I was sewing the blocks together, I discovered I'd done the same thing earlier.  It's staying like that!




This little pile is the offcuts from the flying geese.  They are destined for the fourth and final chair cushion...  Then I just have to quilt them, cut them out to the pattern I've drafted and sew them into chair cushions around a piece of foam.  No trouble there then ?!?  Why do I do these things to myself?


19 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Oh, I love blue and brown together. What a brilliant idea to use the same colours, but make each cover with a different design. Look forward to seeing them finished and on their chairs.

Jacqueline said...

That is amazing, I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that.

Lorna McMahon said...

Each of your cushion covers is looking sew good! Each unique and creative! Great job!

Sarah in Stitches said...

They look beautiful! Whenever I make a mistake like that and beat myself up about it (I'm a bit OCD and I'm going to notice that tiny little mistake every time I look at it) my husband calmly reminds me that I'm the only person in the world who'll notice. He's probably right. I love the colors you used! They're so pretty together :D

Sandra :) said...

Those are going to be sweet when they're done, Wendy!

LA Paylor said...

I sure like the brown thrown in.
LeeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Sure love the blues and browns together.....great job!

Maria said...

I love the colours and fabrics you've used and I must say you have alot of patience to make chair cushions in patchwork. I'm looking forward to seeing them finished.

Acorn to Oak said...

I don't know what FAL and ALYOF are but your cushion covers are pretty. I love blue and brown together! I have a bunch of fabrics in those colors to make a quilt. I need to get to it someday. I just can't decide on a pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished chairs. Happy sewing! :-)

Vicki in MN said...

Love your color combo!

JoJo said...

But think how happy you'll be once this project is finally done!

Fiona said...

lovely blocks.... they will make great cushions
Hugz

SuperMomNoCape said...

What a great way to practice and try out new blocks and still end up with something pretty and useful!

CeLynn said...

Wendy,I love how your chair cushions are coming along. They are going to be so pretty when finished! No trouble there at all ;)

Jane said...

It'll be worth it in the end, they'll look fabulous

margaret said...

your chairs are going to look lovely with your covers, naughty little bunnies they get everywhere! Friendship star is one of my favourite blocks too

Rachel said...

If it is of any consolation - it took me ten years to finish and mount some canvaswork covers for the seats of our dining room chairs!

Jo Ferguson said...

From one short-arse to another, I'm constantly sewing the right side to the wrong side. I've been doing it since I started quilting and I can't seem to stop. There must be something wrong with my wiring. I love blue and brown together and these cushions are going to be gorgeous. It's too bad about the bunny fabric but I think the sacrifice will be worth it because it looks wonderful with the fabric you used with it.

Chrissie said...

Lovely colour scheme, your chairs will look great when finished