Monday 16 June 2014

stained glass qal

Before I start rambling about quilting... our neighbour has a bee's nest under their guttering.  I keep finding giant bee carcasses in my garden.  At the weekend, when I went outside, one got trapped in my hair.  I actually thought I was going to have a heart attack.  Anyone know how to get rid of them or keep them away from me and my buns?  Oh, and do they live in nests?  I thought they lived in hives....

I'm joining in a Quilt-Along!  2 years after it finished... so I'm not really joining in, I'm just making a quilt!  The pattern is Stained Glass by Sarah.  I remember seeing the quilts around Blogland at the time and loving them, but I didn't make quilts then, so I just pinned it and moved on.  After I came into possession of a full Fat Eighth bundle of Kate Spain's Cuzco, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it.



The tutorial calls for Fat Quarters, so I paired the Fat Eighths up to make up the 11 fabrics required.  I still have so much left over!  I used Klona medium grey for the "leading" and got cutting and piling.



Then I started sewing and I just couldn't stop!  Above shows the first 11 blocks (one is duplicated), since taking these pictures, I've actually finished all the blocks!  I'll update you later in the month.  I never meant to make the blocks so quickly, but once I started piecing, I couldn't stop!  


I thought you might appreciate a working shot of my craft room...  bit of a mess?

17 comments:

Rachel said...

It does seem to be rather addictive - somehow you rattled off those blocks in no time at all!

Joy said...

Oh I love your mess Wendy - my hubby told me the other day that my sewing room looked like we'd had a snow fall! Enough said! Your blocks are looking great and they excite me no end - I know that feeling of not being able to stop sewing them up - hurry up and show us more, I can hardly wait! xoJoy

Joy said...

PS I meant to say sorry, can't help with bee problems but hope you get them fixed soon! x

pennydog said...

I love a fast quilt like that. Take a picture of the bees and I'll ID them and get you some more info- Alex knows about these things, he used to be a beekeeper (until one harsh winter...)- some types of bees make a nest and then move on very quickly so you might be OK.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Shows how tired I am - I was wondering why you put the yellow pieces in each block, as I thought the blocks would look much better without them. Finally worked out they are post it notes and not part of the block. So, without the yellow post its, I LOVE your stained glass blocks - very effective. I have to check out the pattern and add it to my To Do list.

Sandra :) said...

Call it controlled chaos - it looks like you've been in a whirling dervish of sewing activity! The blocks are beautiful - I can't wait to see the quilt top :) (Sorry, no advice about the bees - I'd have a heart attack too if one of them landed in my hair - it's curly so it would totally trap them!)

JoJo said...

And I thought my craft room was untidy. Next time Russell makes a crack about losing me in the vortex of craft supplies I'll show him this picture. All I know about bees is that smoke will slow them down.

Chrissie said...

Looking good, you are certainly on a roll, never mind the bits n bobs, you were having fun xcx

Cindy said...

This is a super pattern to show off those pretty fabrics! Fab idea.

Maria said...

Love your blocks, your craft room is looking a bit like mine at the moment, it's the first time I'm testing a quilt pattern so I have blocks all over the place.

Sarah in Stitches said...

Beautiful piecing! I love the colors. Can't wait to see the final result :D

Vera said...

Oh, I know what you mean. I had that couldn't stop stage recently as well :) I like your in progress pics. You are definitely keeping it real!

Anonymous said...

Looks fab- and I love the grey for the leading!

Jane said...

Beautiful blocks, it'll be a lovely quilt. At least you have a separate room, you can go out and close the door. I have mine in my living room, it definitely gets interesting

Bower Bird Patch said...

The stained glass blocks are looking great! I also love your craft room....what an action shot!

Crafty Ashley B said...

Love the blocks! Now I got to go pin those directions so I can join in a little late at some point!

Jo Ferguson said...

Bees like to build their hives in wood. A tree, under the eaves, inside the exterior wall of a house....etc. That's as far as my scientific knowledge goes. I've been told that they like certain scents. You could be attracting them because of the hair products you're using. I love your fabric/colour choices for Stained Glass. Piecing is like peanuts, you can't do just one.