Thursday 13 August 2015

velcro galore

One of the items on my FAL list for Q3 is the quiet book for my nephew.  I had a feeling this was going to take a LONG time, so instead of cracking on with it, I put it off for ages.  Turns out I shouldn't have (you could have told me that).



I'd previously cut out a load of the pieces.  The first thing they needed was the velcro sewing to the backs of them.


When that was done, I just had to pair up the front and back pieces and sew.  In some cases this wasn't as simple as you'd think, the felt stretches and distorts and my sewing machine doesn't like sewing away from little points.

Now we've been friends for a while, you can tell me the truth.  I'm a big girl, I can take it.  Does this look even slightly like a T-rex?  Would a 3-year old think it was a T-rex?


One of the pages is this face which he can velcro hats and features on and off.  I'm thinking the velcro for the glasses looks a bit odd when the glasses aren't on.


This is supposed to be a viking helmet.  It might have been marginally more successful had I sewed the horn-type-things on the right way up!  I would have unpicked but I used a small stitch on my machine and picking stitches out of felt is not fun.


The glasses distorted badly when I sewed them and the sewing is a mess!  Never mind, I'm sure they'll be the first item that goes missing!


This will be a jigsaw, well a jigsaw with square pieces.  I just have to figure out how to divide 7" by 3 (stupid me) and whether this should be velcro-backed too.


Not a bad start, and that is only a couple of hours' work.  I need to sew them to pages of course and make little pockets to keep the bits in.  I might just cut out some more pages soon ready for another sewing session.  We're going down to see my nephew at the end of October and I'd like to present it to him then.

11 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

This is going to be a fun quiet book, Wendy. They all look great, but I'm loving the T-rex the best. Bet he's going to be popular with your nephew.

margaret said...

there is going to be one very happy nephew when you give him this what a great job you have

Rachel said...

I don't think three year old nephews are quite as critical of grown up aunties as the aunties are of themselves, so I'm sure it will be fine.

I'd almost be tempted to do most of the stitching by hand rather than machine, if the machine is so twitchy about sharp angles...

Christine B said...

Hello Wendy! I think you have done a great job and this quiet book is just going to be loved.... don't worry about any little mistakes... no-one else will even notice them! Christine x

pennydog said...

T-Rex is fine, just stick a googly eye on it!

Flickenstichlerin said...

This looks great to me, wonderful piecing, a one in a lifetime gift for a child. This one will be loved until it falls apart.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Sarah in Stitches said...

This is such a cute idea! Yes, that definitely looks like a T-rex. Great job! :D

Bethany said...

Yes, it absolutely does look like a T-rex!

I love working with felt but my machine doesn't like it either :)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

These are so very cute!! Love them :)

-Soma

Jo Ferguson said...

Felt can be a pain to work with but these pieces look great (I'm not just saying that). What a great idea for a child.

Jane said...

He will love playing with them all, he won't be critical of them at all. I'd love to play with them too