Tuesday 2 May 2017

Stringy birds

April's Christmas Craft Club was held at my house and it was great fun, and very noisy.  We decided to have a go at string art.  



Whilst cleaning out the hall cupboard, I found a bit of wood.  That did as my base, I painted it white about an hour before my guests arrived, so it was a bit tacky to work with!  Nothing like a bit of preparation...


I drew the bird templates free-hand (as you can probably tell!), cut them out and knocked in nails around the outline.  I then took 3 shades of yarn (one with tiny little sequins) and wound, and wound, and wound.  It was pretty easy, unless a bit came off a nail and then the last 5 minute's work would all unravel.


I have no idea what I'm going to do with it but it was good fun!

14 comments:

Rhona said...

That looks great!

Sheryl said...

These are lovely Wendy, glad you had fun doing them.

Bethany said...

Oooo I like those!!!!

Sandra :) said...

That *does* look like fun - I especially like sequinbird - she's bringing the bling! ;)

Christine B said...

Your stringy birds are lovely Wendy! Looks a fun technique! Christine x

Jane said...

that looks like noisy fun :)

margaret said...

another craft you have shared today Wendy you always amaze me that you can turn your hand to any and every craft. Read about your time with Jane earlier on her blog

Rachel said...

It's charming, and does look as though it was fun. Althoug I can just imagine the mutterings when a thread slipped off a nail....!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Very sweet! Used to love doing string art! Also on cards.. without the nails, lol! xx

Catherine - Hillview Embroidery said...

You do so many great crafts! This looks like a lot of fun, and creates a great result.

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

stitchingranny said...

You did a great job with the birds.

This kind of art was very popular in the late 60's / early 70's, and I remember having a beautiful sailing ship with white shimmery thread used for the sails and mounted on wood covered in a black canvas (it was a night scene)hanging on my wall. I hasten to add this was a piece I bought, I do not think I am clever enough to do it myself. Crotchet is very fashionable again now so maybe this will come back into fashion too.

Kerryp77 said...

That's fab!

Sarah in Stitches said...

That looks like so much fun! I think you've done a great job with them :D