Monday 1 October 2018

Continuing the shawl

I've been making the Sunny Day Shawl for aaaaaaaaaaages.  I bought some grey Stylecraft Special DK for the main body, and a ball of turquoise and green for the accents.  I misread the pattern and should have had more colours than that!  Ah well.


I'm on the last but one row, then there's some blocking to do before it's FINALLY finished.  Just in time for autumn though.  I went camping at the end of August (don't ask, and no, I'm not convinced I'd do it again) and wanted a small project to take with me.  I also, as usual, thought I'd get LOADS done.  Of course I didn't.


It's going to be this amazing Persian Tiles blanket.  It will be identical to the one in the link as I bought the kiut.


As the kit comes with lots of balls, I thought I'd better do some winding, so I got my winder out.  It's pretty good, except the metal guide falls down so you have to hold it up, that's a bit annoying.  


These are 100g balls.  I think the winder makes cakes for 50g balls.  The cream one at the back was a whole ball wound!  I learnt my lesson after that and the others are half a ball, or approximately half a ball as you can see they vary!

After I've finished the shawl, I'll get going on this one.  So expect to see the finished blanket approximately 2029.

11 comments:

Jane said...

I love the transformation you get with blocking, enjoy using your shawl

Rachel said...

The ball winder does produce something a lot neater than I do by hand, that's for sure. And centre-pull, as well...

It seems to me you have the same knack for taking on loooong projects that I have!

Christine B said...

Look forward to seeing the finished shawl Wendy and good luck with your next project!! Christine xx

tialys said...

I've just started on a shawl and I predict it will be aaaages before mine's ready too. It's 4ply yarn and a smallish hook which I'm not used to - plus the pattern is more complex than recent projects and I won't be able to do it in front of the T.V. as I like to do. Daylight hours are for fabric related crafting.
I have enough yarn left from my first Eastern Jewels - aside from 6 balls - to make a second one. My first one is now with my daughter in Bournemouth and I miss it so another is on my 'to do' list.
Your shawl is looking good and the Eastern Jewels project is a lot of fun so hopefully you can make a start soon.

Christine said...

Great shawl and that blanket is going to be amazing

Mindy said...

I have that same ball winder. Can you pull out the metal guide until it "clicks" into place? That's what it took for mine... Hope you can get it to work for you!

Karen S said...

Your shawl is looking lovely and your timing is right for the cooler weather.
The tiles blanket you are planning to make looks stunning. Enjoy that one!

Mrs G said...

Love the tile pattern blanket but could you finish it before 2029 please? I'm not sure I'll live that long.

Miss Val's Creations said...

The color choices in the shawl are so pretty. That is a nifty yarn winder. It looks like a must for knitters.

Alex said...

Looking forward to seeing the shawl blocked and the blanket looks like it's going to be amazing!

Sandy said...

Looking forward to seeing your shawl laid out to see the whole thing. Colors look great. Can you tighten your metal guide on the ball winder? Am out blog walking today, but thought you might enjoy a visit from a different blog...my travel blog.