Sunday 1 September 2013

starting on the letters


Good morning ladies, I hope you are all having a lovely evening.  I've wiped brick dust off a patch of sofa and spent some quality time beading and also spent some time in my sewing room.  The alphabet chart is coming along nicely.



I finished embroidering O, which is my owl from Mary Englebright's Stitched So Cute.



And I also finished W which I'm quite proud of.  It's a whale in case you can't tell.



It was time to do some of the letters, even though there were 2 more letters to go.  I drew some guidelines and wrote some chunky letters.  The second one on the top line is an upside down G by the way, not a Russian B, and the last but one on the bottom row is the Q.



After going over the outlines with a Sharpie, I could turn the letters over and trace them onto my Heat n Bond.  After experimenting, I decided I didn't want to machine stitch them, I would have lost the will to live by C, so I used the super sticky stuff that you can't sew through.



After roughly cutting round the letters, I chose felt and fabric for each letter that corresponded with the colours used in the square.



The Heat n Bond was ironed onto the back of the fabric, cut out neatly and ironed onto the felt, using a pressing cloth.  I then cut another piece of felt the same size and sewed the soft part of some velcro on the back.



I then cut another piece of Heat n Bond, fused the two layers together and cut round them.  See what I did with the A?  Would you believe that out of 26 letters I only made that mistake twice?  Both times it was the A!




I then gauged where on the square I'd like the letter and sewed on some velcro.



Coming along nicely... good job, I've only got 13 days left before the little lady's birthday!


10 comments:

Anita said...

Hi Wendy,
The project is looking very nice indeed. Love the whale, how cute!!
Can't wait to see it finished, it will be gorgeous.
Cheers, Anita.

Celtic Thistle said...

Instantly recognisable whale! Chuckled at the A mishap, sorry :)

Anna said...

Ce que ça va être joli...
Bon dimanche !
Hug
Anna

JoJo said...

That's coming out so adorable! The owl and whale melted my heart!

Allie said...

Oh Wendy how stinkin' cute!!

Sandra :) said...

It *is* coming along nicely - I love the whale too! At this rate you'll be done in time - YAY!

Joy McD said...

How cute are they!! And yes, easy to see it is a whale, sooooo sweet!! xxx

Jane said...

It's coming along very nicely, I can't wait to see it in all it's glory

Anonymous said...

The whale's my favourite! Didn't realise the letters were stuck on with velcro, what a great idea.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Such a cute little whale.. no doubt as to what it is.