Tuesday 28 May 2013

saggy and baggy and badly-lit

I'm not sure if the title of the post refers to me, or to today's offering.  A little of both perhaps...

Remember I showed you some granny squares last week? They were #3 on El Listo Gigantico, cotton granny squares, originally meant to be a blanket, then a footstool, but ended up a cushion.  A saggy and baggy cushion.


The original blankets was going to be made of these 3 colour grannies with all the outer rounds in black or white.  I didn't have enough black or white, so the 5 black ones I'd made were joined by lilac-outered squares (I'm doing well with made up words today)... 


(See, still baggy and saggy when propped against my sewing machine) 


And the white ones were joined by aubergine-coloured-outered squares.  I didn't make the word "aubergine" up, it's British English for "eggplant".  Wonder what it's called in Oz?


I stuffed one of my existing cushions in there, one with a blue cover that matches the curtains, and crocheted the gap up.  I added an outer granny border, held it up, discovered it was baggy, chucked it on the sofa and sat on it.  That'll teach you cushion, I'm going to sit on you.

13 comments:

Kerryp77 said...

I think we all have days when we feel like the cushion - saggy and baggy! looks lovely though. Aubergine is a much nicer way of describing a colour too than egg plant!

JoJo said...

Well I think it looks great. And btw eggplant is easier to spell than the other word! ;)

Shirley said...

Maybe the cushion knew you were going to sit on it... x

Melody said...

Not saggy baggy but squishy and comfy.

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

Hi, I was wondering if you could try buttoning the cushion through the centre of each square to give it a little substance. You could use buttons, or just tie with some of the yarn you've used as in some old quilts. Or ......you could try a bigger cushion filler. Or.......you could just sit on it! Irene xxx

Celtic Thistle said...

Yay! for another tick on the gigantic project list even if it is a saggy, baggy tick!

Sandra :) said...

Oh my - when I read the title I thought you were talking to ME!! Things do tend to head south when you pass 50, LOL!! I like your pillow cover - the colours are very modern looking (compared to the oranges and browns and avocado greens of the 70's, which is what granny squares tend to remind me of) - I don't think it looks saggy or baggy at all - I think it looks cushy :)

Sarah said...

In NZ we use eggplant and aubergine interchangably. Aus is probably the same. It's like that for most of that sort of thing. Weird.

heart of charnwood said...

Looks pretty good! :o)

Nicky said...

Not too saggy or baggy Wendy! Looks lovely, I'm just wishing I could crochet like that(in fact crochet at all!)

Jane said...

I like saggy and baggy! Looks perfect for snuggling up to on the sofa

Marie said...

Awesome blog! I had a blast scrolling through your ideas.

Marie @ http://123craftcafe.com

Samantha said...

I think you just need a bigger cushion pad. When in doubt, pad it out!