Wednesday 17 December 2014

A half-baked notion

The morning of my birthday, last month, I had the urge to crochet whilst waiting for Mr CA to get ready to take me to Jamie's Italian.  I was dressed and ready, just waiting for him which is always the way in our house.  I picked up 200 Crochet blocks by Jan Eaton and started working on a square.

This is no 197 - Fretwork.



As I was crocheting I came up with a half-baked notion of making a sampler blanket, using my stash of left-over oddments and this book.  A blanket made up of each square in the book, and maybe some more from other books or the internet.  

Later that week no 16 - Waterlily was born.  This is left overs from the wrist warmers I posted earlier in the week.



I'm not sure if my half-baked notion will come to fruition, but I might just keep crocheting a square as and when I feel like it and see what happens.  It will be a rainbow blanket, out of necessity, so I think if I keep the colours similar within squares (and add neutrals apparently), it should work out.  We will see.  Or not.

edited to add.  As I was adding the tag to this post, I saw there is already a tag for "granny sampler blanket".  It would appear this is not a new half-baked notion.  I have a vague memory of some other blocks from this book.... I'm off to investigate.

11 comments:

pennydog said...

Great idea!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Great idea! I love the colors too. Hope you have some more squares stashed somewhere! :D

Rachel said...

Maybe you are closer to creating that blanket than you thought you were!

Oops-Lah said...

I wonder if you - in the meantime - unearthed some more blocks you've made previously ;)! I have something similar going for years already. Every time I feel like knitting (and it's not often) I would knit a square and one day I hope to have enough for a blanket. Keep going, those squares look lovely.

margaret said...

wonder f I could follow the instructions in this book I seem to be having problems understanding from the book I bought, maybe I will pop over to amazon, have not bought a book for about 3 weeks!

Christine said...

Lovely blocks, I like the idea of a sampler blanket

moira said...

you are a crafting machine!

Anonymous said...

I had a similar half-baked idea early this year ^^ to knit squares for a blankie (because I can't crochet) . . . first ten squares were knitted, then it got forgotten

Sandra :) said...

HAHA I quite often forget what I've done too - supplies bought, projects started, projects finished - the older I get, the fuzzier things become - oh well! As long as I remember my own name and my internet password, I should be OK ;) Pretty blocks - especially the waterlily!

Celtic Thistle said...

You have my husband's sympathies Wendy, he claims to be always waiting for me!

Hope you come across a forgotten stash of completed crochet blocks that will make achieving your granny square goal so much quicker to achieve :)

Jane said...

Did you find any other blocks? It's a good idea, love these blocks