In July we had a day out to Lincoln Castle Heritage Skills Centre to attend a class with Sarah Homfray. You may remember we did a goldwork class with her recently, you can see that post here. And no, I haven't finished that piece yet, nor have I finished this one! It will happen...
This time we did stumpwork. Stumpwork is an umbrella term for the many different techniques that make up raised, or 3d embroidery. I have done some raised embroidery, in the form of Casalguidi where we made a raised band and did some woven picots along with bullion knots - I assume they are classed as raised embroidery.
This time we were learning to do small stuffed pieces and wired shapes. There are probably official terms for these techniques, but I must have missed that bit!
We started with a ladybird tent stitched onto mono canvas. The next step for this is to cut round it, do a running stitch and gather it up before stuffing it with fibre fill and sewing it down to the background. Clearly I didn't get that far!
Next we worked on the dragonfly. His raised body is finished, though of course I could have chosen to work stitches over the full length of his body. All that needs adding to this is the wings.
We were given this lovely piece of shimmery organza and some pieces of paper wrapped wire. We formed the wires into wing shapes and then sewed them down onto the organza using a very close button hole with 2 strands of embroidery thread.
That's hard work. Trying to catch the thread at the back from where we cast on, trying to keep the stitches tiny and neat and trying to keep the wire in the correct shape are all tricky, especially all at the same time!
This is as far as I got in the class. I have been ignoring this project for a while whilst I finished up the Princess Bride, but now I hope to get it finished, along with the goldwork and the casalguidi!
I'm hoping to have more Finishing Things posts to come!