Sunday 18 February 2018

Upcoming classes

I went on a craft class booking frenzy before Christmas, then I went on one last week at lunchtime at work.  I did a lampwork class before Christmas (I will show you soon, promise!) which I'd like to do a follow-up class to, and I went on a ceramics course in January.    I thought you might like to see which classes I've booked.  If you click on the link, it will take you to the class listing where it's available as a separate page.

Weaving - at the end of February at Rural Antics at Hanwell Wine Estate.  I'm really excited about this!  I have no idea if I'll enjoy weaving but I do want to give it a go.  And if I do like it, weaving looms don't take up THAT much space do they?

Bentwood chair making - in March at Rural Antics at Hanwell Wine Estate.  I'm going to make a chair!!  I've never taken a class at this venue before, but when I'd booked them, I discovered one of my friends is friends with the owner and apparently she's lovely so I have high hopes!

I want to do another couple of courses here, if these ones go well!  I fancy the table making and the spoon carving.

In March I'll be going to the Creative Craft show at the NEC (click here for a ticket offer).  Not sure if there are workshops on?  Sometimes there's a make and take.

Tatting in April at the Leicestershire Craft Centre.  I bought a shuttle tatting Craftsy class ages ago and gave it a try but just couldn't get it.  I think I need to be shown in person, then hopefully I can follow the Craftsy class.  I'm very excited about this, me and wonderful mum tried to find a tatting class for years and failed.  Another new venue for me.

Then I have the Bag Retreat in April in Wales - this is run by Mrs H.  I went last year and it was brilliant.  Whilst not a workshop, there are a lot of workshops within it, learning about different aspects of bag making, and we get 3 patterns and lots of help, so it is like a very long workshop.  With alcohol.  

Papercutting in May at Two Little Magpies.  Again, another new venue, it's pretty close to my house so I have high hopes for this one as it'd be convenient to go back!  I know I could learn paper cutting from a book/tutorial, but I still haven't picked up my craft knife and at least this will get me going.

Felted Pods in June at Needle and Thread.  This is wet felting with a resist and I've fancied having a go for a while.  Me and mum avoided wet felting classes as she had terrible arthritis and it wouldn't have done her much good as it's very physical.  One of my first ever craft classes was Nuno Felting, so this isn't completely new to me.  It's another new venue and, after I booked it, I realised I don't even know where it is!  Turns out it's in Lincolnshire so it could be up to 2 hours drive for me!!

Well that's the first half of the year sorted for a craft class a month!  Hopefully I can do the same in the second half of the year (or maybe even fit a few more in this half!).  If any of you live in the midlands and have any recommendations for me, please let me know in the comments.  I'll try anything - other than sewing/quilting.  No idea why but I just don't fancy sewing/quilting classes!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

There is a trick to tatting, and you may well find that just seeing someone do it will be all you need to get the trick. And once you get it, you're unlikely to lose it!

Anonymous said...

gosh! there seem to be so many different crafting workshops in your area and I admire your enthusiasm for having signed up to so many!

Pudding et Biscotte said...

It seems that you will be a very busy girl for the next coming months! You will learn a lot of very interesting techniques. I don’t know which workshop I would choose if I had to select one, they all sound equally exciting. Maybe I would first go to the Papercutting session. I recently visited a shadow theatre exhibition based on the same technique and it was fabulous!
Enjoy all these new experiences!

Ellie Foster said...

Dear Wendy
It sounds as though you are going to have a busy (and lovely) time. Thank you so much for the link to Needle and Thread - it is only a couple of miles away from me and there are two workshops I would really like to go on, so I shall sort out the money this week and get myself booked!
Enjoy learning all those new skills!
Best wishes
Ellie

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic and fascinating mixture of courses!

Fiona said...

Lots of interesting and different crafts - great you hve the chance to attend the workshops... always so much easier (and more fun) that trying on your own...
Hugz

Jean Tuthill said...

Thanks for visiting me. I am intrigued by all your craftiness. I am now a follower and am looking forward to see more of your adventures.

tialys said...

Sounds like a great way to try lots of new crafts - some you will take to and some you won't but at least you will have had a go.

Karen S said...

What a wonderful list of classes you plan to attend. And How lovely to have so many choices near to you. Yes, please, share the lot whenyou go to each one. I look forward to seeing your chair!