Thursday 20 January 2011

Yarn, yarn and more yarn - works in progress

A quick apology - Blogger is insisting I have my party buttons in the middle, not the end of the post, I've moved it but Blogger says no!  Keep reading to see the photo of the baby blanket and a link to the pattern and wool shop.

I have been knitting and crocheting away this week, so I've got no finished projects at all!  I wanted to show you something so you didn't think I'd just disappeared, so here's my works in progress.

First up, 2nd item from my Craft Book Challenge for January and first Christmas present of the year - a knitted toy, almost finished:


Can you tell what it is yet? (Said in an Australian accent (that was a Rolf Harris reference by the way)).

Secondly, I've been crocheting a baby blanket for a friend.  Another friend suggested it to me and I said in horror "but she's due on the 14th March, I can't crochet a blanket in 2 months!".  I got on the internet, got the yarn (the softest, most beautiful Sidir Snuggly Baby Bamboo in cream - it's divine) and got started.  I'm half way there after just 4 days!

This is also the reason the toy above isn't finished, my crewel embroidery has barely been touched and the dishwasher still needs emptying!  I can't stop!  I blame the gorgeous wonderful yarn.  It's a bit wonky at the bottom as I didn't quite get the hang of the pattern until about row 8, but I've got to do a couple of rounds when the length is finished so I'm hoping I can sort it out with that and a bit of blocking.  I have no idea how to block but I'll find out!

The free pattern is from the Lion Brand website - find it here

For UK knitters/crocheters, I bought the yarn at this website, it was the cheapest I found online, delivery was quick and there were no problems, I'd recommend them.

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Fun projects! Is the little guy on top a fun frog? I can't wait to see the finished product!

And the baby afghan looks like a beautiful yarn. I'm excited to see how it turns out. Will it be a decorative edging or simple stitches? So pretty!

Mindy said...

Hey again--just saw your comment on my blog. I'm really sorry, I didn't realize I was "no reply." What does that mean, and how do I fix it? Thanks!! ;-)

Joysze said...

Is that a frog?? Looks like a frog.... I LOVE IT!!! I bet the yarn you're using for the baby blankie is soft as a baby's bum. :D

Kim said...

These look like such fun projects. I love the baby blanket - I want to learn how to crochet and that yarn looks gorgeous!

My 1st Bambina! said...

Wow... you are on a roll!!!
Your 2nd challenge project is looking great,... I also think is frog/toad!
That's the wonderful thing about crocheting, once you start you can't stop.. lol... the blanket is looking great too!
PS ( I don't know how to fix the non-reply situation on my blog either... sorry :-( ...)

Nancy Lee said...

Are you making a monkey by any chance?
I really admire those who take on the challenge of knitting/crocheting. The baby blanket looks so cosy. Good on you for the great progress. Ignore the dishes. What have they done for you lately?

Nancy Lee said...

Are you making a monkey by any chance?
I really admire those who take on the challenge of knitting/crocheting. The baby blanket looks so cosy. Good on you for the great progress. Ignore the dishes. What have they done for you lately?