Wednesday 15 August 2012

coiling gizmo

Hiya ladies.  I'm here today with a LANT and a little gadget that's probably new to most of you.  Or am I the last person in the world to discover it?

This is the coling gizmo.  As you may be able to tell by the wire and beads in the background, it's a jewellery making tool.  I saw it being demonstrated at the Craft Show in March and was also seeing projects for it around the same time so I invested.  So, what does it do?




It coils. The picture above shows a wire that I coiled, then pulled apart gently.  It works on any thickness of wire and you can make big or small coils depending on which twirly-type-thing you put in the vice.  I spent a little time at the weekend experimenting with it.


In the picture above I coiled some black wire with the thinnest coiler, then coiled that with a large coiler, producing this coil above.  Pretty cool!




This coil was made holding a length of black wire and red wire together.  I don't think I picked the best colours as you can't really see the contrast in the photo, it's also pretty subtle in real life.




I stretched it a bit and you can see te colours better.




I used that wire to make another coil, strung this butterfly charm on the first coiled wire and wrapped the coiled-coil round it!  I hope you're following me here!


I finished the piece off with some beads and chain.  I quite like it!


The beads are rubber and have pretty scalloped red bead caps either side.

I also used a thicker 1mm wire and a medium coiler (I think it comes with 8 sizes) to make my own jump rings, that will be a great money saver and it'll allow me to make jump rings in any colour, thickness and diameter. 

I'll have a play with this again, I'm sure there's loads more it can do that I haven't discovered yet - I might just have to google it!

I'm not affiliated with the Coiling Gizmo at all, I just wanted to show you what it does. 

8 comments:

Anna said...

Gorgeous !
Hug
Anna

Sandra :) said...

Cool gizmo - cool necklace! I know how to get corkscrews too --- get born with Shirley Temple curls - like yours truly ;)

JoJo said...

Very cool!

Chrissie said...

I bought one of these a few years ago and it is great fun and has great potential, I even used some of the creations in needlework as well as jewelry. Hope you get lots of enjoyment from yours.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

No, I've not heard of the coiling gizmo. It certainly looks neat and your coils look great!

Susanne said...

Both fun and practical not something you see every day :)
The necklace looks great!
Wish you a good weekend.

Unknown said...

I was eyeing one of these up last summer (we are very much on the same craft wave length!). They make great coiled beads which was demonstrated to me by the sales lady in the bead shop. Looking forward to seeing your future creations.
Becky x

Celtic Thistle said...

Looks like you had fun with the gizmo! I have seen a couple of projects in a magazine but these look like more fun.