Monday 6 August 2012

The doily is ready...

Morning ladies.  I hope you all had a nice weekend and are enjoying your Monday morning.  Or afternoon or whatever time it is where you are.  It's Monday morning for me so I'd like to think you're in the same miserable boat!

I had a craftastic weekend.  I would like to point out that I'm using the word "craftastic" ironically.  Let's just make that clear.  I did get a lot done though.  I sewed up a storm and even made some jewellery, but that's not what I've got to show you today. 

I finally finished a project I've been working on for AGES.  I made a doily and got hooked, I immediately started another but it gave me loads of trouble.  Or rather my lack of concentration gave me loads of trouble and I ended up crocheting a round, frogging it, crocheting it again, crocheting the new round, frogging it etc, so I've actually made this entire doily twice!


I'm not entirely sure why I wanted to share this picture of the doily being blocked.  But I clearly did as I took a picture so sharing it I am.  I starched it with loads of spray starch to help it keep its shape.  Before blocking it's a big clump of crochet.  I should have taken a picture of that, that would have been more interesting.

 


Anyway, ta-dah and all that.  The pattern can be found here.  It's a free one.


I think I used size 5 thread.  Did I?  Maybe.  I own size 5 and 10 and when I ran out of the first ball, I joined in another and after half a round noticed it was too thin, so I used the thinner of those two sizes.


It's quite large.  As you can't see from the photo above with the metre ruler in it!  Oh, a quick note on the photography.  Thanks for you tips ladies, I do think I need to go a bit more advanced though as I always use my macro setting, never use the flash and use a white background when I can be bothered!  In this photo I didn't use a white background as you'd have just been looking at a block of white!




See?  Proof of how large it is, 17"!  What am I going to do with it??  I do want to try making bowls from doilies, but I'm not sure this one is the ideal pattern... we'll see!

11 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Your doily is beautiful, Wendy!!! It's so intricate and pretty. It's Monday night here and I've spent the day in the garden.... or perhaps I should say I've been working hard all day... LOL!!!

cauchy09 said...

wow, that's a lovely doily!!

Anna said...

Delicate, beautiful ! Nice Job !
Have a creative week.
Hug
Anna

OksanaB said...

I love the dolly! The pattern is beautiful and you've done a wonderful job!

Sandra :) said...

Absolutely. Gorgeous. What a labour of love - I wish I could crochet like that! I don't know that I could stick to it like you do though - I would have given up at the first sign of trouble (because I'm lazy like that, LOL!)!

JoJo said...

That's beautiful! Well done! I need to find a doily to make a dream catcher design I saw on Pinterest.

Highland Monkey's said...

How nice is that. I like the idea of a bowl. Also seen a lampshade made from all sorts of different doilys which looked very effective.

Lisa said...

So beautiful! I've only just recently picked up a crochet hook and am endeavoring to learn to use it. I aspire to pretty doilies like this! Great job, Wendy!

Louise said...

So beautiful! Such delicate work... it's gorgeous :)

Louise@loulovesthis.blogspot

Liz said...

Adorable! I love doilies! Liz

Rosa said...

That doily is great!
I've put it on my list.