Saturday 5 October 2013

Splash mat

I haven't shown you a kitchen update for a while and that's because it's nearly done!  We now have a working sink, fridge-freezer, oven and hob (possibly stove in North Americanish?) !  So exciting.  We are still waiting for one more worktop to be fitted and then it all needs tiling which is when I will show you, don't want to ruin the surprise. 

It wasn't until we got to this stage that I realised I hadn't made all the stuff I wanted to make for the new kitchen.  During the building work and prior to that, I was too depressed to even think about it.  But now I can and so I'm sewing up a storm.  I really hope to have lots of projects to show you for our new kitchen over the coming weeks.  



First up was the curtains.  Except I haven't made them yet.  Making curtains is boring.  So first up became a splash mat to use in front of the sink.  Can't have that lovely new floor (that hasn't even been chosen and bought, let alone laid yet!) getting wet. I knew exactly what I wanted to use.  Nancy very kindly sent me two mini charm packs of Marmalade yonks ago and I was waiting for the right project.  This was it. I decided to go for alternate patterned and white squares, all starting at 2.5" and finishing at 2".  The picture above shows how I kept track of what went where whilst chain piecing.


I didn't go random, I went for diagonal lines of each colour.  


I then straight line quilted it.  I used white thread to go diagonally through all the white squares, then used matching thread for each colour diagonal.  I kept white in the bobbin as the back is white.


I don't think my points were too bad, quite a lot of them match.


Not all of them of course!


The back is an old bath towel.  I didn't want to use a new one as they shrink and I don't want this ruined when I wash it, which I will have to do often as it is white!  I was worried that the coloured side of the bath towel would show through the patchwork, but it doesn't so I'm happy!

1 kitchen project down, 96 more to go (more or less)... I feel a list coming on...




10 comments:

Sandra :) said...

WENDY!!!!!!!!!!!! Your kitchen is almost done ... finally ... I'm so excited for you, lol! How you managed to retain your sanity without having a kitchen for 6 months is beyond me - I was in a snit when my fridge started to die and they promised delivery 2 days later :D Pretty splash mat - can't wait to see what else you do! You do have to make curtains though, even if they're boring, LOL!

Maria said...

This is so gorgeous how can you possibly want to stand on it LOLL I'd hang it on the wall if it was mine.

Celtic Thistle said...

Well, of course, there has to be a list in there somewhere!

Looks good, will look even better when there is a floor to lay it on :)

Anna said...

Lovely patterns for a lovely quilt !
Have a nice weekend !
Anna

Samantha said...

Lush, lush, lush!!!

Nicky said...

This mat is darling, far too pretty to get dirty water all over it! Your points look good to me too....

SuperMomNoCape said...

So glad to read that the kitchen reno and other repairs are almost finished. You're going to love having everything back together. And from the sounds of it... with lots of time before Christmas so you'll have a chance to relax and enjoy it before the hustle and bustle begins.

Joy McD said...

very pretty! I like the idea of putting an old towel behind it! xxx

heart of charnwood said...

Well done Mrs, and I'm excited that you will finally be getting some normality back! :o)

Maria said...

This is much too pretty to be walking on, if it was mine I'd hang it on the wall.