Saturday 22 February 2014

smalls SAL February

I finished my small for the Smalls SAL back at the beginning of the month!  Yay, look at me being organised!   I will succeed in all my challenges...*

The small for this month was another cover kit, this time from CrossStitcher sometime early in 2013.  It's a rose stitched on a wooden blank.  



This was my first time stitching on a wooden blank and it was pretty easy.  The only thing is when you're putting the thread through a hole for the first time, going from back to front, quite often the needle drops back out again before I had a chance to catch it!


There was enough of the threads, though I was right up to the last few inches of the aqua and was relieved I had just enough.


It's supposed to be a keyring and came with a keyring and lobster clasp.  I don't see how it could be though as this is the back!  OK, it's not the neatest back in the world, but after a few rows I realised I couldn't use it as a keyring and so stopped caring about being neat.  Instead, it will be a hanging thing.  Yes, that's right, a hanging thing.



* or perhaps not...  I seem to have accidentally started working on the Quilty Stitches Sampler at Little Miss Shabby, not quite sure how that happened, but this is my Swoon block.


Now I need your help.  All of you.  I've finally visited every blog on the GYB hop and wanted to start on my new followers, but Google displays them randomly for me.  I don't recognise some of the names, so not sure if you've just never commented, but, I want to visit you back!  If you read my blog and I've never visited you, or haven't visited you for a while, will you please leave me a comment so I can come and visit you back?  Thanks!

19 comments:

Sarah in Stitches said...

So cute! Yeah, I don't understand how you're meant to use that as a key chain. Unless you mount it on something? Anyway, great job!

Brigitte said...

That's a nice little finish for the Smalls SAL.

Jane said...

Hi Wendy, your little rose 'hanging thing' is very pretty - if you wanted to keep it as a keyring perhaps you could attach some fabric to the back (not sure how though), but I suspect you've thought of that already. I like the idea of a cross-stitch sampler of quilt blocks, I'm tempted to join in but have so many WIPs at the moment, I'm trying to control myself. In answer to your question about replies, I used to reply to comments on my blog but quickly decided that, if I was going to reply I would do it by email instead. For no-reply bloggers I either reply on my blog or visit theirs to leave a comment. Have a lovely weekend.
Jane x

JoJo said...

Why don't you cut out a piece of stiff felt and back the cross stitch with it? I love how it came out; the colours are so vibrant. The needle drops out of perforated paper too!

Sandra :) said...

Cross-stitch on wood - what WILL they think of next??! So cute!

margaret said...

have never seen stitching on the wood before, it is very rich looking. Seeing your hardanger reminds me I have that project to do too, have forgotten about it! though I think it is on my list for 2014

Jane said...

I like you hangy thing. I've never stitched onto wood either, bit kinder to the hand than some plastic canvas's are. Have fun with the new SAL

Celtic Thistle said...

Gosh, a new organised Wendy whatever next ??

Sheila said...

Love the little rose, so cute. Mine is finished for the month, just haven't posted yet.

Jacqui S. said...

That blue is so sew nice.

CeLynn said...

Very pretty hanging thing ;) You could use a piece of felt or maybe attach a yoyo upside down...

Unknown said...

Very pretty little hanging thing! Oh I do admire that lovely block as well... Chrissie x

Jo said...

I love that, I have never seen wooden templates like that, they are fab for children because fabric just flops around. Jo x

Carrie P. said...

sweet! I thought I was a follower but it didn't show me as one but now I am. I hope you will come by my blog sometime.

Elunia said...

Very pretty little hanging :)

brendon said...

Such a nice idea for finishing! I have never seen the stitching on a wooden blank before, it looks very pretty and unique!

Maria del Valle said...

It's looks so nice!!

Cajun Mama said...

I love the rose hanging thingy. :) I've never stitched on wood before. It looks intriguing!

Unknown said...

Very cute! I am definitely following your blog now!