I made a bad choice for the stripes on the bowl, they're not obvious enough. Speaking of which, I tend to point out mistakes I've made and things I could have done better in my posts. There are a few reasons for this and I've been pulled up about it so many times in the comments recently that I thought I'd say something here.
I am not showing you the mistakes so you can say "don't be daft, it's brilliant". This is a log of the things I've made, warts and all. Don't you get bored reading blog post after blog post saying "ta-dah! Look what I've made, it's perfect!". OK, that's how other bloggers want to write, but I'm not playing. The stuff I make has faults. Sometimes it's just stupidity on my part, other times I can learn from it. Why not share? I'm sorry that it bothers some of you, but I'm really not being down on myself. Yes, I cocked up. So what? I don't care so you shouldn't either.
As you can see, most of the fabrics are Flea Market Fancy. I'd cracked them out for the appliqued cushion and so thought I might as well use them. Our kitchen has white units with black tops, and the tiles are multi-coloured, all colours except pink and purple, so anything goes. I used Sketch for the spoon, it was the perfect choice. So, I basted this bad boy up- I put on borders after making the block, I've just realised I was waffling about be being crap publicly and forgot to talk about what I made! - I started FMQing and...
What the?? How flimsy must that bit of metal have been? I thought I'd broken the needle the sound it made, then I saw the needle and was a bit confused until I found this in my lap. Well, no more FMQing for me... Jacob's quilt definitely won't be done this month now!
Scrappy binding and it was done. I wanted a go at echo quilting, it's something I've never tried. Yep, should have done that with a walking foot, not a darning foot!
It's OK though for something that lives on a kitchen counter and gets chucked in the wash with dirty socks every week!
The bar thing broke when I was doing the curlies in the spoon, I just kind of carried on, I was so near the end.
I have completely ran out of things to say about this trivet... Oh, I don't much like the way I did the borders. I didn't have enough of one print to do them all, so I should have mitred them.
It's bloody huge. The bowl section is 10", I added far too much of a border and it's loads bigger than the other one. I think that's an old pillow case on the back. I'm not wasting expensive designer fabric on the back of a trivet.
The binding went OK. I did it by machine as I really couldn't be arsed hand binding it. It's not perfect, but it does the job and doesn't look as bad as it sometimes does!
January - oven gloves