Tuesday 5 August 2014

A project for July



I was a member of the Bag of the Month Club, we were sent a new bag pattern every month.  I have intentions to make some of the other bags, but as soon as I saw June's bag, I knew it was to be my new handbag.  


It's called the City Slicker and is by ChrisW Designs.  If you click on that link, you'll see her bag and a link to buy the pattern.  June's EMMQG meeting saw me cutting out all the pieces.  It took the entire session, there were a lot of pieces.  Last time I showed you this project, I'd got as far as basting the Bump (which I used instead of Soft and Stable as I can't afford to remortgage my house right now) to the outer pieces.


Finishing this bag was my entry for July's A Lovely Year of Finishes.  It didn't happen.  I also wanted it done by the 15th July so I could enter it in the Bag Of the Month Club competition.  It didn't happen.  I did, however, finish it on Thursday.  Ta dah!



Oh, there seems to be a problem here!  I am such an idiot, really, a massive twat.  I'd also sewn a rectangle with a cross inside on each strap end, then gone over it 3 times... lots of unpicking.  


So here are 35 million pictures of the finished bag.  Above shows the front which features a twist lock.  This was my first time putting in a twist lock and it wasn't that hard.  The biggest problem was that I couldn't find my Fray Stoppa, but I just used a bit of fabric glue.


The fabric is Kate Spain's Daydream.  I'd bought a metre of each with the intention of making a bag, but before I found this pattern.  I adore this fabric.


The front pocket has fusible interfacing and fleece on it and it did this - see that above?  Ah well, the pocket is usually closed anyway.


This is the back, that's a welt pocket, my first one!  Oh, I get to link this up to Something New for 2014!


See?  There's a pocket in there.



It has LOTS of inside pockets.  These were all in the pattern which is great, if they hadn't have been, I would have added them.  There's a double slip pocket on one side, featuring a pleated pocket for bulkier items.  There are also a couple of pen slots in the back pocket (you see the strip of fake piping?  That's the top of the pocket).


The other side has a zip pocket and another slip pocket.  I didn't divide it in half as suggested in the pattern, I made one side the right size for my phone.


The sides have these buckles which are just for show, and the rivets.  How much do I hate rivets?!?  They're up there with snaps for me.  They bent, they broke, they fell out... damn things.  There were supposed to be rivets on the straps to hold them together, but I didn't fancy them falling off!

Overall, this bag was hard... it was harder than the Weekender by far - there's no way I could have made this bag in a day.  So many pieces, so many fiddly processes.  I tried to follow the printable pattern but gave up and had to follow the full pattern on my tablet - at 77 pages there was no way I was printing it out, but the photos were vital as instructions such as whether something is right sides together or which way up to put something were not stated in the written instructions!

All said and done, I love this bag and it's a great alternative to my current bucket which is starting to fray and looks very worn.  I just hope this bag will be big enough for me...

Oh, and it's my first goal for Q3 of the FAL!



Linking up to:

 2014 FAL


Finish Along 2014
Celtic Thistle Stitches



Something New for 2014




19 comments:

Gina said...

Fabulous bag. I need to make a new handbag but with so many great patterns around I haven't decided what type xxx

Gina said...

Fabulous bag. I need to make a new handbag but with so many great patterns around I haven't decided what type xxx

pennydog said...

Wow I hadn't realised how complex this was- 77 pages of instructions?!?! It's a miracle you finished it this soon, I'd have needed another 6 months for the cutting out alone, and it looks so pretty too :)

P.S. W00t for bump! I used up all mine already too in a much smaller bag.... should get some more really. Lets see what Festival have got to offer....

Oops-Lah said...

Wow, what a fantastic bag! It does indeed look complicated but you did a great job. Well done!

Maya Kuzman said...

I must agree the fabric is great! It is such a beautiful bag!

SuperMomNoCape said...

What a beautiful handbag! I love the fabric you used for it. And I do love a handbag with lots of pockets. So many bag designs I've seen don't have any pockets. I'll bet you're going to be asked "Where'd you get that bag" alot! And it will be so much fun to say, "I made it."

Rachel said...

Well done indeed - a great finish, and how very satisfying to carry a bag you've made yourself!

Fiona said...

fabulous bag.. I can see why it was hard to do...
Hugz

margaret said...

what an amazing bag you have made here, it looks and sounds so complicated to make but so worth it, it will be unique.

Sarah in Stitches said...

Amazing job! The bag looks fantastic. I have no earthly idea how you made all those pockets, they look very fiddly. Incredible! :D

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Awesome bag, Wendy!!! It most certainly looks like it was worth the work to make it.

Lorna McMahon said...

I must commend you on a job well done, Wendy. I have never made a bag... or even a pouch. But this bag sure does have a lot of pockets and fiddly details. You chose the perfect fabrics for it. It looks fantastic! Good for you, girlfriend!

Ruth said...

Looks great! I'm still on January's pattern but I really like this one and am going to have to try it!

Ruth said...

I'm still on January's pattern! Your bag looks fantastic - definitely one to make!

Sandra :) said...

Wendy!! It's absolutely fantastic - the pattern, the fabrics - you did an amazing job on it! I've never done rivets before - I'm not even sure how they're added, lol! I bet you need a special riveter (says Rosie!) to do them - must investigate - they make a nice embellishment :D

Jane said...

It does look really complicated to make, it looks wonderful, enjoy using it

Rosa said...

It`s absolutely beuatiful and love your fabric choice!

Josie said...

I am blown away by this! If I had made a complex bag as stunning as this I would just keep putting it on my lap and then very gently and lovingly stroke it!

Jo Ferguson said...

I LOVE your fabric choices. It's full of wonderful details and the twist lock is the perfect touch for the front. I've only made one bag and I can't say I really enjoyed it but I did gain an appreciation for the work that goes into making one. This one is gorgeous.