I got out my copy of The Art of Bead Embroidery and looked for a suitable design. I chose the Free-form Brooch as it was the kind of look I was after, but also let me do pretty much what I wanted - it was free form after all!
Sorry about the rubbish photo, it was taken on my phone one night and posted to Instagram.
I started with the cab glued onto some bead foundation. I then used Nymo thread to backstitch a row of white 11/0s round the cab. I then went into beadweaving and used peyote stitch to build up a couple of rows to enclose the cab at the front. I figured it out myself! I was so proud. Well, when you're generally rubbish, you have to take your pride where you can find it.
The next row is copper/rose coloured 8/0s which were a bit of a pain as they weren't uniform in size or shape, then a row of gunmetal 11/0s. They were Miyuki seed beads so were pretty regular and easier to use. I then very carefully cut out the embroidery, cut a piece of black ultrasuede the same size and glued the two together.
When it was dry I used gorgeous copper crystals topped with a 15/0 Miyuki gunmetal seed bead to work a beaded whipstitch round the edge to hold the two pieces together.
I'm pretty pleased with the finished article, I just need to sew a brooch back on it so I can wear it. It's quite a large brooch, so I think it will be worn on my coat.
Thanks Christine and Therese for the opportunity to try out bead embroidery again. I thought this piece was going to take me weeks, but it only took a couple of evenings. It's made me enthusiastic about bead embroidery again!
You can visit the other participants here:
2. Christine (Host)
5. Lori F
8. Karin G.
28. Karen W.