Monday 1 February 2016

Bee Block tutorial


Hello ladies of the Bee Together.  I found this block on Pinterest, it's by Anne of Play Crafts, but it was just a Flickr photo, so I've put together a bit of a photo tutorial for you.  I'm no expert so I hope this makes sense.  If you can see a better way of putting it together, go for it!

I'm not overly worried about precision, I'm not a precise piecer myself, so don't worry.  As you can see from the photos below, I cut the strips longer to help me with piecing and just trimmed them off afterwards.

I'd like blocks in blue or yellow.  You can do two of one colour or one of each, but please keep each block to one colour only.  For the sashing, please use any light-medium grey solid.  You can use a different one for each block.

Cut:
- Centre block - 1off 8.5" square
- Small blocks - 12off 4" square

Grey strips:
8off 4 x 1.5" (between the squares)
2off 8.5 x 1.5" (top and bottom of the centre square)
2 off 17.5 x 1.5" (right and left of the centre square)
2off 17.5 x 2" (side sashing)
2off 19.5 x 2" (top and bottom sashing)

For the bottom two strips, I cut mine a bit wider and didn't trim at the end, please feel free to do the same.  PLEASE DO NOT TRIM YOUR FINISHED BLOCK.

Below is the layout.


Sew the short grey strips to 8 of the small squares. 


Sew another square to the other side of the grey strip.  You will now have 6 pairs of squares joined with a grey strip.  2 of the pairs will have a grey strip on the end.


Sew two of the pairs to the pairs with the extra grey strip.  Sew the grey strips to the top and bottom of the centre square.  When I do my next two blocks, I will actually chain piece it all, but I stopped and pressed to make it easier for you to see.  I haven't made the next two blocks yet as I want to balance out the colours depending what I get from you lovely ladies.


Sew the 2 remaining pairs of small squares to the top and bottom of the centre square.  Sew those long sashing strips to your outer columns, then to the centre.


I then trimmed around the edge.  At this stage it measured roughly 17" which, if I've done my maths correctly, was a bit undersized.  Not to worry!


Finally add the outer sashing to the left and right, then the top and bottom.  I cut mine to 2.5" by mistake so I'm not too worried by those missing corner bits and you shouldn't be either!  It measures approx 20" of useable block.

I plan to quilt-as-you-go each block, then sash them in either yellow or blue.  Leaving it untrimmed with a bit extra on the outer sashing will help me finagle it together.

Thank you ladies!

No comments: