Thursday 26 May 2016

Needlelace

Wonderful mum and I have been doing a lot of embroidery classes recently, we're both really enjoying stitching and a lot of workshops seemed to appear! We did a needle weaving class at The Living Threads group recently.  I had no idea what to expect and quite enjoyed it.


We were needle weaving a little bird, the other object is its wing.  We started off with a piece of fabric, placed the paper pattern on top then covered it with sticky-back plastic.  We then had to couch the Perle 8 thread onto the outlines using ordinary sewing cotton.  It was hard work and it seriously damaged my thumb!  I had a 2 big gashes from pushing the needle through the plastic.


I thought it was just a bizarre way of avoiding pattern transfer, but it turns out that the plastic gives a good backing to the needleweaving, preventing the needle from piercing the thread as this is the only point at which you sew through the fabric.


The needle weaving itself was quite easy once I got into the rhythm of it.  We did a double brussels stitch.  I think.  It involved loops!


The bird filled up quite quickly, then it was a matter of catching the initial couched line in the final row.


The wing was done using a different stitch.  Single corded stitch maybe?  Oh dear, I seem to have forgotten all this!  



This is as far as I got in class.  I hope I can remember how to do that second mystery stitch as I still have to finish the wing!  Once that is all done it's blanket stitch round the outlines, then cut the white threads to release the bird from the backing fabric, it will be completely free-standing. 

Wish me luck and hopefully I'll be able to show you the finished item soon(ish).

10 comments:

Cath said...

Well done so far. Looks better than my first and only attempt at needlelace. I'm sure a google search will help remind how to do the second stitch.

Rachel said...

Ooh, you're ahead of me. I've done needle-lace as an insert, but never as a free-standing piece. I do hope you remember the second stitch and finish it, as I'm longing to see it!

Chrissie said...

Love needleweaving and stumpwork, have fun finishing your project xcx

Bethany said...

Wow! That's really different! I love the way the bird turned out!

Jane said...

oh, that looks really interesting, it should look fabulous

margaret said...

you have taken to this like a duck to water, needlelace is not easy, I had to do some when doing the C & G embroidery course loving your bird and I am sure the wing will work too.

Magpie Sue said...

This looks great! Not sure about the plastic bit but the rest of it sounds like fun. I hope you do remember how to finish off that wing, I want to see the finished bird!

Liz said...

Sounds like a fun class. You have done a great job with the bird and the wing that is underway! I've never tried needlelace, I wonder if something similar would also work with beads . . .

Sarah in Stitches said...

This is so cool! I've never seen anything like it. Great job! :D

CraftafterCraft said...

Needle weaving looks like a lovely technique. Pretty birds.