Saturday 30 July 2016

ceramic birds and wind chimes

Last month I told you about  a workshop we did at Katherine Fortnum Ceramics.  We went to another workshop a few weeks ago and so were able to collect the birds we'd made.



He is intact, if not quite as attractive as he could have been.  I only put one layer of underglaze on him so he's a slightly pinkish/brownish off-white!



Katherine did say that the inside would need a light sand as it was so hard to get it smooth during the making process, I was surprised how bumpy and knobbly it turned out.



He's on the kitchen window sill (indoors) at the moment until I decide where he can live and what he can hold.

At the last workshop we were making windchimes, or a hanging mobile of some sort.  I don't have many photos but I have a few.

I cut out a series of hearts getting progressively smaller.  I then textured some of them in different ways.



I used one of these fancy rulers to imprint some of the hearts.  The small round thing is a stamp, I used that on other hearts.



Next it was glazed, three coats, and I scratched some designs into the glaze to reveal the clay underneath.



They're going to be fired, then we'll collect them.  I think we've got another workshop later this month, I'm taking the Mother-in-law as well as mum so that should be good fun.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this finished - looks good already!

Jane said...

That will be lovely when it's done, love the way it all fits together. Have fun on the next one, and I'm so glad the bird survived

Sarah in Stitches said...

The heart mobile is going to look lovely! And I actually like your quirky little bird, he's so sweet :D

Anonymous said...

I love the range of techniques and patterns you've used. Looking forward to seeing it fired and finished!