Monday 27 February 2017

domed pendants

This was something I was making in Silversmithing class last year.  I was going to post about it when I finished it, but I never actually finished it and don't know when/if I'll come back to is, so I'm posting it now for posterity.



These were to be domed pendents.  They are hollow forms.  They were made by annealing sheets of 1mm copper and cutting discs out with a disc cutter.  I then put them into a doming forming and hammered them to create the curve.  A tiny slot is filed out on one of them for each pair, on either side.  This is to make it easier to drill them later.



One is placed on top of another, with solder in between.  This is the difficulty.  Balancing 5 pieces of tiny solder, then lowering the lid on without any of the solder moving... It frustrated me so much I almost cried!  I have some silver circles cut out ready to make domed pendents, but they will have to wait until my skills improve!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Goodness, yes, I can see practice being needed here! I'm sure you'll get there...

Bethany said...

When I get to the point of crying frustration, that's when I take the proverbial hammer to something.

margaret said...

once again you have shared yet another skill with us I am sure you will complete them soon.

FlashinScissors said...

Gosh, this does look difficult! Well done you for experimenting!
I can see they will be very pretty when you do finish them, I hope you have an opportunity to!
Barbara x

Anonymous said...

I love doming but the thought of soldering them together reminds me of the only time I ever had to solder an stud earring post to mend it...and breathe...!!!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds incredibly tricky! I hope you finish these one day :D

Jane said...

they look as if they're very fiddly to make, hope you get to finish them