Monday 24 July 2017

The anklets of doom

A bit of a dramatic title perhaps?  Hmmm.  For some simple stringing to make some simple jewellery, it's been a right palaver!



It's summer and, for once, we're having a hot one in England!  OK, not every day, but some days.  And that's enough for me.  Because of the nice weather, I've been wearing cut of trousers with my usual trainers.  I needed a bit of bling on my ankle.  I found these flower beads in mum's craft stash, added some Swarovski crystals, some beading wire, crimp beads and a clasp.  


This was made in the same way with a variety of beads: cheap crystals, millifiore beads, drops and some cool black nickel donuts.  I had everything in my stash and it took minutes to string.

Then I wore them.  And the crimps came undone.  And they fell apart.  

So I restrung them, this time using nymo thread and knots.  

And the flower one stretched and fell under my foot.

Back to the drawing board....

9 comments:

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh dear.... they look so pretty too! Hope you find a way to keep them together xx

Ellie Foster said...

Dear Wendy

I have had similar problems with some of my crimped jewellery, which is especially embarrassing and irritating when it was a gift for someone. I haven't made very much using crimps since. Would elastic/stretchy anklets work? How about macramé with a sliding knot fastening? Kumihimo might give a nice effect too, (although you would need smaller beads, or no beads). Good luck with your next attempts - I am sure you'll find something that works.
Best wishes
Ellie

Christine said...

Oh dear! Hope you can figure something out. Don't do what I did once though and use a magnetic catch on them. I kept getting my foot snagged by the iron railings at school!

Rhona said...

I hope you manage to find a solution to the problems as these are so pretty!

D1-D2 said...

That's terrible! Was the nymo thread a stretchy one? You'll have to let us know what stringing material you'll try next.

Rachel said...

Oh dear, I recognise that saga - I've had similar problems with jewellery making!

Jane said...

I hope you find a solution, they are beautiful beads

margaret said...

whoops hope you were home when the accident happened would have been embarrassing grovelling around in the street rescuing beads! Both look so good, I unfortunately have to wear elastic stocking so cannot wear crop trousers

RobynLouise said...

The weather, and your anklets, may just be too hot for that beading thread. Time to trial a new one maybe or buy beading wire. Your designs are lovely.