Monday 27 November 2017

Calligraphy class

Oh dear, I'm not doing so well at getting back into blogging, am I?  Life is so busy this year, I work long hours, I like to spend time with family and friends and much of the rest of my free time is taken up with decorating.  I will have a completed room to show you soon though and I'm hoping to finish another 3 over the Christmas break!  Things are helped by the fact poor Colin is ill.  He's my last remaining bunny and he's now 9 and a half.  He's gone blind and has a problem with his eye which could be something serious, I take him back to the vet on Wednesday so should find out then.

Back in September, when I still had a broken shoulder with my arm strapped to my body, I went to a calligraphy class held by Jane Lappage at Created by Hand, a gorgeous hand-made shop which holds craft workshops.  I had signed up before the accident and I called the shop to check I'd still be able to take the class, Jane was confident I could manage it.  I scrounged a lift from my dad and off I went!


We were given the nib and nib holder to use during the workshop and then take home.  Jane had calligraphied all our names, isn't it beautiful!  This class was modern calligraphy, rather than the traditional italics.  Have a look at Jane's website for beautiful examples.  Also pictured is a pot of ink that I bought to practice at home and the pigment that everyone else in the class tried.  I wasn't able to as it required 2 hands!


Here are some examples of the work I produced in the workshop.  Blogger is being its usual annoying self and putting pictures where I don't want them to excuse the sideways photo.





The nib is split in the middle.  Ink doesn't flow through as it would in a pen, rather you dip the nib in ink.  Firm pressure causes the two sides of the nib to separate and creates a thicker line.  We were practicing thick lines going down and thin going up.  As you can see, I didn't quite get it!  The ink blots were a result of the paper we were practicing on.


I can see an improvement over the different pages of samples, but I definitely need more practice.  I struggled a little in the class as I had to have my paper taped down, so couldn't move it as I worked.  I also strugged with being in pain from a broken shoulder and being on hefty painkillers!  I really should give this another go and find out if my broken bones are just an excuse!

10 comments:

Bethany said...

I always thought calligraphy would be a breeze because I do have nice handwriting. But that means squat with calligraphy. Definitely a thing that needs practice (for me anyway). And look at you doing it with broken bones!

Rachel said...

Well, I'm impressed with what you did in the circumstances. I remember looking at some stitching a friend had done while on painkillers. It was on 14hpi aida, and she hadn't even found the holes most of the time!

Jane said...

it's definitely something that takes practice. It's so much harder when you can't write naturally, definitely one to go back to

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty good go considering everything you had going on at the time! When I trained to teach all our assignments, dissertations etc had to be handwritten with a chisel nibbed pen in the italic handwriting that the college was famous for!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I did a calligraphy course once upon a time... it's not easy! But it is fun :) You've done really well, love how you showed your improvement! xx

Elizabeth Braun said...

Hi Wendy! Thanks for asking after me in Virtuosew Adventures. :)

I'm ok, just not really been feeling blogging of late. Instagram is so much quicker and easier!! Hope to get myself back in gear soon though, but don't expect miracles!!!

BW, E.

Jillayne said...

I think you did rather well, all things considered... I bet if you had another go once fully healed you'd be surprised.
I took a calligraphy class many years ago and loved it - we used fountain pens and calligraphic felt pens so I recently bought a dip pen and am keen to give it a try. I like the bit about "heavy on the down and light on the up" so will keep that in my mind when I get to it.

Sum of their Stories said...

Wow, proper ink and nib calligraphy, something I've always fancied trying but never got round to.
Sound like a fun class and a hobby worth practicing. I'm really impressed you were able to do all this whilst injured.

pennydog said...

How's Colin doing?

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

Hi Wendy, haven’t heard from you in a while. Maybe you are busy with calligraphy commissions for important people??? Anyway, just wanted to pop by to wish you a very Happy Christmas and an untroubled New Year. Irene xxx