Thursday 16 November 2017

Spicier Life blanket

Hello everyone, after a much longer break than anticipated, I'm back!  It turns out that breaking your shoulder (particularly if you do it in 3 places) is a really daft idea and takes forever to heal!  I'm not completely better, I have no strength whatsoever in my right arm (luckily I'm left-handed) and don't have a full range of movement, but I'm getting back into life again.  Going out and renovating my house have both resumed (OK, full disclosure, I went out partying several times with my arm in a sling!), and a small start has begun on crafting.

The first thing I felt up to doing was crochet.  I crochet right-handed as it was much easier to learn that way, but it does mean that unlike most crocheters, I pretty much hold the hook still in my right hand and use my left hand to wrap and pull.  Good when you've broken your right shoulder though!

On a whim, I decided to join in with the Spicier Life CAL at Cherry Heart.  I think I joined in on week 2, but all 6 parts and the border have now been released!  I don't care that I'm behind, and even with a fully-healthy arm I doubt I would have been able to keep up with schedule as there were a lot of rows each week.


This is where I am after week 1.  As you can see, I am making an effort to weave in the ends as I go otherwise it would be a daunting task - plus the ends get in the way.  I didn't buy one of the special yarn packs, I didn't buy any yarn at all.  I have tons of the stuff, full balls, partial balls, donated balls...  I had to decide which weight - DK or Aran and, thinking I had more Aran than I do, I chose that.  Unfortunately I don't have that much and so am using some DK too, it just means a bit of stitch adjustment.  I don't really care about the colour palette, my aim is to use some of this yarn up as I am drowning in it!

I'm not sure how regularly I'll be blogging just yet, I've got a horrible cold and cough, so I'm resting a lot, and renovating the house is taking priority as I lost 3 key months over summer... I should have 4 rooms finished by now!  I did attend a class (yes, with a broken shoulder!) and will blog about that soon.  

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Glad to see that you're back!
My goal is to use up all of my yarn scraps, but there are so many beautiful new things I have a difficult time staying focused.

Rachel said...

Goodness me, no wonder you've been quiet for so long. Good to have you back, but please don't compromise the continuing recovery!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

So good to see you pop up on my blog feed! Glad you are doing better... and that is a lovely blanket. I always seems to add or subtract stitches on blankets like that... and mine end up going all wonky! I need a lesson or two from you I think... xx

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

YAY!!! Nice to see you back and to hear your shoulder is healing, albeit slowly. I saw this blanket CAL on the Cherry Heart blog, but I am embroiled already in a crochet blanket for my sister so just daren't start anything new. Partying eh?? Good for you. Irene xx

D1-D2 said...

Glad to see you're back. Is it really weird to crochet with right hand and wrap with the left? Cause that's how I learned as well :)

Alex said...

Glad your arm is mending and hopefully the rate of recovery will pick up at bit more. I really like the colours in the blanket - doesn't it feel so much more virtuous when you are using up stuff you already have!

mdgtjulie said...

Wow, sounds like a pain. (Literally, lol.) Glad to hear you're on the mend. Love that you're getting back into life again. and I think your CAL looks wonderful. The colors are right up my alley!!!

Chrissie said...

Welcome back. Pleased to hear you are on the mend even though it is slowly. Well done you for adapting a technique so you could craft again. Brilliant you are outing and aboutin again, a little jolly helps, great feel good factor

Jane said...

good to see you back and glad you're healing, even if it is slowly. Must be feeling better if you're crafting