Tuesday 16 January 2018

Tackling my WIPs - Toiletry tote

As I'm starting to get back in the swing of making (still not every day like I did for years, but at least once a week which is a good start), I thought it would be good to finish some of my WIPs.  We had a meeting of the East Midlands Modern Quilt Group last Saturday and I took along a project that will be celebrating it's first birthday soon if I don't get on with it!

I started this Toiletry Tote by Mrs H back in April at The Bag Retreat.  With another retreat looming in April, it was about time this was finished.  Plus I actually NEED it as my current washbag is falling apart.


This pattern is not for the feint-hearted!  Mrs H writes brilliant patterns and they are easy to follow, but maybe this one was just above my level.  Not that I've ever let that stop me!  Above you can see the pain panel of the bag, all sewn together into a tube with the lining outermost.  One of the side panel lining pieces is on top.  



I didn't get much further than this!  I did sew a zipped side pocked which I clearly neglected to photograph.  Inserting it into the bag is the next step.  A step which completely flummoxed me due to missing out a step earlier in the process!  Luckily Mrs H is a friend of mine and answered my stressed out message immediately telling me I'm a fool!  

I plan to update you on this very soon...

9 comments:

Bethany said...

I've lost my sewing mojo, it seems. I enjoy it when I'm doing it, but have trouble getting the motivation to get started. But having one sewing day a week seems like a good, doable idea.

Catherine - Hillview Embroidery said...

I have to say, I think that bag would be beyond my levels as a sewer! Yours looks like it’s been well executed despite the glitch.

Fiona said...

haha... I do love how you write - always gives me a smile.... the tote fabrics are so lovely and it will look great once it is all together...
Hugz

Magpie Sue said...

You're braver than I in just tackling such a project! Sending you good wishes to get it finished without additional stress.

Jane said...

Got to love friends like that, lol. I'm sure you'll prevail in the end

D1-D2 said...

I wish I new how to sew, I'd make myself one as well. You're so lucky you can make your own.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Hmmm... I really like that pattern.. I may have to hunt it up!! It is going to be great when it is done.. xx

tialys said...

Those padded bags can be a bit of a beast - so much fabric, so much lining, so much wadding making it cumbersome to manoeuvre and, sometimes, zips too! I should know as I'm making a similar thing at the moment. It's my second one though so something keeps us coming back for more. Must be because the finished items are so worth it!

Sheryl said...

Lovely bag, pretty fabric. hoping to see it finished soon.