Thursday 24 May 2018

Papercutting - craft class

I have wanted to try papercutting for a long time.  I bought an Exacto knife at Harrogate a couple of years ago.  I bought a book, or maybe two.  I have paper.  But I never cut it.  Why?  No idea!  I knew a class would give me the push though, so when I saw one advertised at Two Little Magpies, and on a weekend, I jumped at the chance.  If you live near Nottingham, I definitely recommend these classes.  They are such good value.  It wasn't expensive, and not only did we get the expert tuition, coffee and biscuits, we also got to take away our knives, a spare blade, a pile of templates printed on lovely paper AND the cutting mat! 


We started with a little practice.  We worked from the back, and then turned over to see the results.  I started with the easy shapes at the top and then moved on to some curved shapes and some letters.  Can you guess Z's name?  (as if it wasn't obvious anyway!!).


Please turn your screen upside down for this shot!  This is the first go at a "proper" template.  It was quite chunky and was numbered from 1, starting with the easier shapes and getting harder.  After that we had free reign to try any of the templates we'd been given.  There was a huge variety and some seemed very hard for a beginner, but we were assured we could do it.  And we could!


Here's what I started with - remember you cut from the back.  Apparently it varies from designer to designer, but on this one you cut out the lighter colour, leaving the dark colour as the finished product.


Like this!  Yay!  It was only a 2 hour class, but I had plenty of time to cut another.


This was a bit tricky because of the curves, but mainly because I was getting a little tired.  The class actually ran over as the tutor is far too lovely to kick people out.  I was the first one to leave as I had plans but others stayed there cutting.  I have more templates to tackle and I will!  I thoroughly enjoyed this craft and it's something I definitely want to do more of.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy what beautiful work ,so glad you enjoyed your class,love what you made,well done my friend xx

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

WoW it's fantastic!
Hugs

Rachel said...

I can imagine that for something like papercutting, which requires accuracy, you need to be fresh. I suspect a two hour class is about as much as a beginner can really take, even if some people were enthusiastically staying on!

Bethany said...

That looks like one of those crafts that is absolutely therapeutic in its tediousness. This makes me want to give it a shot!

Alex said...

Lovely! Cutting curves isn't easy, but you've got some great results.

Jane said...

For some reason, the photos aren't showing. It may be me. Happy papercutting

Karen S said...

I like the look of the designs you chose. Looks like some patience is required here. Great result.

Sandy said...

LOVE the bird design. It's quite pretty. The class sounds fun. I've only done some knitting classes on line, so I can work on my time schedule. Have such a bizarre work schedule...in that there is no schedule; it's not reasonable to try to schedule something like a class.

Sandy's Space

Celtic Thistle said...

I have had a kit and knife for a couple of years too but never used them yet, after seeing your post I might just give them a go :)

Catherine - Hillview Embroidery said...

I have seen a few people do paper cutting, and it always looks so effective! And I’m amazed at how much you got done in two hours! Perhaps finally a nice hobby that results in quick makes!

FlashinScissors said...

Wow, Wendy!
I have too much fabric to say I’d try paper cutting, but it looks like it was a fun class, and you did very well!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Sum of their Stories said...

Oo, I need to get my xacto knife out again, It's been ages since I did any papercutting. I find it so meditative (because you have to concentrate so you don't stuff it up or cut yourself) These deigns are just beautiful