Friday 22 June 2018

Foxy messenger bag

It was my boyfriend's birthday at the beginning of June.  This is the first birthday we've celebrated together and so I had no idea what to buy him!  He's very ethical and won't buy anything that's not fair-trade and ethically sourced, so I thought I'd make him something, that way the only slave labour is my own!



This is a free pattern from a blog.  To my shame, I can't find the link.  I was sure I'd put it in a "WIP" pinterest board, but I can't find one on my profile!  It wasn't so much a pattern as a bit of a how-to.  I changed the dimensions and the strap construction and added a zipper pocket inside. UPDATE! I found it Link to free how-to.



His favourite colour is orange, so I wanted orange fabric.  I thought a waxed canvas would look nice and be fairly masculine (not that he cares about gender stereotypes like that, he's rather partial to pink).  It was really hard to find and so I had to forgo looking for organic fabric (which he would usually chose - he's also a bit of an eco-warrier).  The lining also isn't organic as I couldn't find any fox patterned organic fabric that I liked.



The 2 magnetic snaps and the handmade scroll were from Sew Hot at the Bag Retreat which is where I started sewing this.  I also bought the zips there.  I added a zip pocket in the lining, as you have to have a zip pocket.



This is a very special zip pocket though... look...



Bicycle fabric (yep, he's a cyclist, nope, he doesn't own any Lycra), and...


Another, hidden zip pocket!  This time lined in the waxed canvas.  No, that's not a person in a hat at the top of the photo, it's my hand and a blur!  


Apparently I thought you'd like a closer look at the pocket lining!  No, the fabric isn't upside down, the photo is.  Again, it was surprisingly hard to find bicycle fabric and impossible to find organic.  The problem was that 99% of the bicycles had baskets on them!  I didn't want a cutesy bicycle.  


More Sew Hot hardware there.  I messed up this strap.  I like the way I did it - I folded over 1/2" on either long side of the waxed canvas, and slightly more on the bicycle fabric, then sewed one to the other.  No turning!  I hate the usual method of strap making and much preferred this.  Problem?  I forgot to interface and forgot to add fusible fleece!  So the strap is very thin and a bit uncomfortable.  I nearly didn't give him the bag because of this (obviously I'd left it til the last minute and didn't have time to make another), but in the end I did, with a promise to make him a new strap.  I'll do that tomorrow at quilt guild.

I put a few little treats in the bag for him and he seemed really pleased.  I knew that he would appreciate hand made (he loved the crap sloth I crocheted him!) but have no idea if he's just being polite!  He has been carrying it around so he can't be completely mortified by it!

18 comments:

D1-D2 said...

I love that bicycle pattern with the fox. I'm sure he'll love it

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

It's great!
I love the combination of fabrics, bicycle and foxes, and that orange color so vitamin!🤗
Hugs from Seville

Rachel said...

Well done - very useful, and I'm sure he'll be using it for years. Especially with a new strap...

pennydog said...

Well this is really sweet! And very nice of you to remake the strap too, I'm not sure I would have done, you're better than I am!

Jane said...

I love the pocket in a pocket. The different fabrics in each one make it special

Catherine - Hillview Embroidery said...

What a great birthday present! And one you clearly out a lot of thought into, even if you couldn’t find the fabric you wanted. I could see a lot of people wanting a similar bag as a present!

Pamela said...

Great gift, sounds like a great guy too!

tialys said...

You obviously put a lot of thought into this gift which I'm sure he appreciated.

Alex said...

The bag is amazing and I love the secret pocket in a pocket. Your bags always look so professional, so no wonder he loves it!

Ellie Foster said...

Dear Wendy
That's a great looking bag - I love the added details to reflect his likes and dislikes. (I am sure it is loved as if it wasn't, it would never be used!)
Best wishes
Ellie

Shirlee Fassell said...

Nice job! If you ever find the link please post it would love to try this. Love the background... as I recall you made the chair?

Christine B said...

What a great present Wendy! I am sure your boyfriend was delighted with it! Christine x

Karen S said...

Great result. The bag looks wonderful.

Sandy said...

LOVE the bicycle fabric. I'm sure he'll be happy with his gift.

dutchcomfort said...

What’s not to love about this beautiful handmade bag!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Looks great! I'm sure he will use it lots! xx

Sum of their Stories said...

This is a great present, I'm sure he's not just being polite!
I do that all the time, think I've pinned something then can't find it when I want to refer to it again. I am pleased that you found it again in the end. I'm going to pin it myself :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy i love this bag and i also love the foxy fabric,you do such beautiful work my friend,well done xx