Monday 13 August 2018

Festival of Quilts

It was the Festival of Quilts at Birmingham NEC last weekend.  I didn't go last year so as I had no plans for the weekend, I thought I'd take myself off there.  It's only about an hour and a quarter drive - but it gets expensive.  The ticket is £16, but then they charge an additional £12 for parking!  Add to that all the shopping you end up doing...

I took loads of pictures of quilts, but I can't show you any of them as I didn't take pictures of the name of the maker...  I'm afraid you'll have to go elsewhere if you want to see quilt pictures - I'd try instagram.  

I am, however, going to show you what I bought.  It wasn't much compared to usual show hauls for me!  I couldn't really justify buying much as I have done almost no crafting recently!


This is a half metre of bicycle fabric to make a new strap for Z's bag.  Long overdue!  I had ordered some online, but when it arrived the bicycles were about 4" tall, so too big!


I've been itching to embroider recently, but everything is still packed away (news on that next week).  I thought I could remedy that with a piece of fabric and some nice threads for a simple embroidery.  The fabric is Riley Blake something or other (sorry, I'm rubbish at knowing what fabric is!).  The threads are: (left) a sparkly rayon by Stef Francis, a Finca pearl 12 in variegated pink, a green silk from a stall whose name I have forgotten.  I looked at some DMC embroidery cottons, but thought I knew where my boxes of threads were at home.  I had a look.  I don't.  


This meant I needed a small piece of muslin to back the embroidery.  The olive oil soap is for felting which I've been itching to do for a while.


A couple of pretty fabrics.  The one on the left is very familiar but I forgot to pull it out and look at the selvedge.  The one on the right was a possible contender for embroidering.


Pre-printed Sashiko fabric which I'll do with normal embroidery cotton, probably in a rainbow.  


And this teddy-bunny kit.  I could not resist it.  There was a sample on the stall and I fell in love - so I splashed out.  Ah well, teddy-bear making is on my list of things to try, so I might as well!

13 comments:

Rachel said...

Ever since an experiment with taking the car twenty years ago, the NEC has been on my "Go By Train" list! The stalls selling bulky equipment will usually deliver, and by the time you've had a day at a show, driving home has become rather unappealing...!

Might the green silk be from "Oliver Twists"?

Fiona said...

What a fun day out..... I've heard it is huge. You got some lovely fabrics and that teddy bunny is awfully awfully sweet...

HUgz

Catherine said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day, you definitely came away with some lovely fabrics and crafting supplies! I hope you enjoy working with them!

Karen S said...

Lovely purchases. I especially like the Riley Blake fabric and the embroidery thread together. That looks like a great idea waiting to happen!

Jane said...

some lovely fabric there :) have fun with your new projects

tialys said...

I have the pretty fabric on the left of the pair and I believe it's Lewis & Irene - I bought a range of their fat quarters at some stage in the past and they're all lovely.
It is very expensive to attend these shows and exhibitions by the time you've paid for the ticket and the travelling and I can't believe they charged so much for parking! Did you find there were lots of stands selling 'not really relevant' stuff? The last time couple of times I attended similar types of shows I found there were and stopped going. Never been to the Quilt one though.

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a fab day and have come back with lots of inspiration and projects to complete. Can't wait to see the fiinshed rabbit!

Rhona said...

Such pretty fabrics! Hope you manage to find your box of threads :) The teddy bunny kit is so cute!

FlashinScissors said...

Ooooh! Sounds like fun, but yes it does work out expensive! Gosh, how much for parking ..... eeek!
Lovely fabrics! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the embroidery, and all those pretty, pretty fabrics!
Awww! The teddy/bunny looks cute!
Sounds like a great day out to me!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Alex said...

Some very interesting looking bits and pieces there - I especially like that sashiko fabric.

Samantha said...

But at least you didn't die...

Sandy said...

How do you use the olive oil soap for felting? I've not heard of that. I know with wool you wash it to felt it, but...

Love the bikes, very colorful. YOu did well with the fabrics. Yikes parking is pricey.

Little Penpen said...

I enjoy embroidery too. I made my first big stitch quilt recently with pretty colored thread.... it was almost like doing pretty embroidery. I think I've found a new love. Your new things are so pretty.... have fun!