Friday 11 January 2019

Copper and silver necklace

There'll be no review of 2018 or goals for 2019 from me.  I did so little craft last year, I can barely believe it.  I would like to craft more this year, but I'm not putting any pressure on myself, so I'll make what I make and post when I post!


I finished this necklace before Christmas.  I've shown you peeks of me making it.  In this post from March last year, I showed you a bit of the technique!  Making soldered chain IS a time-consuming process, but I'm also quite slow and made various other things at the same time!


It's made from copper and sterling silver.  I made large jump rings, soldered them and cleaned them up, then rolled them through the rolling mill to flatten them.  They were then hammered to add texture.  I then made what felt like about a gazillion small jump rings and soldered it all together.  I then spent a LONG time filing and sanding each and every link!


It is finished with a hand made and hammered toggle clasp.  I love it.  I love mixed metal jewellery and I love rings like this.  I'm not sure I'd embark on making another chain from scratch though!

17 comments:

Sasha said...

That looks great! I have made many chain items, but I never soldered them! That looks entirely too time consuming, but the end result is amazing!

Pamela said...

This is an interesting piece of jewellery. I really like the texture of the rings. I can't imagine how long it took to file and sand each link! Have you worn it yet?

Rachel said...

Well done indeed - and very wise not to put pressure on yourself. It's been a trying couple of years, and 2019 looks like being "interesting" for all of us!

Catherine - Hillview Embroidery said...

All the best for 2019, and I’m taking your approach to both 2018 and 2019! I’m hoping to embroider and blog more, fingers crossed! This is a really lovely necklace. It is worth the time it took to make it! I can imagine it was incredibly time consuming but well worth the effort!

Christine B said...

Wow Wendy! This is just awesome! It must have taken ages to make all the individual rings and I think it is wonderful! Christine xx

Cath said...

It's fascinating to see the different techniques you are learning. Even if you don't do another project in that technique, it all feeds into the collection of skills you are gaining. I have tried to avoid to setting too many goals for my crafting this year. As soon as I do that life gets in the way and that just leads to frustration. Just keep enjoying what you are doing :-)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

That sounds very time consuming but well worth it. You've created a beautiful necklace and it's nice to have a piece of jewellery that's unique and genuinely handmade :)

Shirlee Fassell said...

Love your necklace! You did a great job.

Christine said...

That is gorgeous!

Alex said...

It's lovely and having done some silversmithing I can really appreciate how long it took to end up looking this amazing!

pennydog said...

I want to see a picture of you wearing it so I can see how long it is!

Annie and Lyn said...

That's an amazing necklace and you deserve a lot of credit for the painstaking work.

Alison said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, what a lot of time and effort!

Karen S said...

It looks lovely. I can see why it has taken so long. So much work!! Great finish.

RobynLouise said...

Catching up after a long blogging absence and I love your chain. I admire your perseverance considering the time it would have taken but now you have a beautiful piece of jewellery that is individual.

Sandy said...

Love the necklace. Things with mixed colors/metals are so versatile vs only silver or only gold etc. I like your idea of no goals...just go for it.

Unknown said...

Wow - I can't imagine the work involved. Looks stunning!