Saturday 30 July 2011

Christmas roundup

It's time to show you what I've done for the Christmas Countdown.  It's not much I'm afraid!

Christmas Club

I think I mentioned that I've finally set up my computer desk?  Well, the only mousemat I had was an old one of my dad's with a picture of Meadow Lane (the ground where Notts County play) on it.  Clearly, that wasn't the mousemat for me!  Instead of buying one, I decided to have a go at making one.  After reading through several different tutorials, I knew I was going to give the Mod Podge versions a go.  I've haven't linked up a tute as I didn't really follow one, I read a few and made up my own version.


I thought I might as well make one each for my mum and dad whilst at it. I cut a bit of Lily and Will fabric for mine, some piggy fabric for my mum and black and white stripes (Notts County again!) for my dad.  I used dad's old mouse mat for mine and cut rectangles of funky foam for mum and dad's.  I smothered the back of each piece of fabric and the foam with Mod Podge.

Then I put the fabric on right side up and spent ages smoothing out any creases, bubbles and wrinkles.  I left it to dry for about 3 days, then cut to size.


Not an unmitigated success, but they're alright.  The tops are rough and bumpy and I thought that might be a problem, but I'm using mine now and it's not a problem at all. 


The blue foam I used for dad's shows through the white stripes a bit and I'm not sure the funky foam versions are thick enough.  I think they'll do for a stocking filler!

I really will get more Christmas gifts done in August, I will!!  I know, I've said that before...

By the way, I still need another 5 people to sign up for Pay It Forward otherwise my one poor PIFfer will end up with sackloads of handmade stuff from me!  Does anyone else want to receive something handmade in the post?  All you have to do is blog about it (or Flickr or Facebook or whatever) and find 3 people you can PIF to...  Come on people, you know you want to!

7 comments:

Allie said...

Those are neat!! And a great gift - I'm going to have to give that a try. Good for you!

Sandra :) said...

Handmade mousepads - great idea for a Christmas gift!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Great idea! That's a great gift idea for my boys! Happy Holiday!
Hugs, Mickie

Holly U said...

I'm at the end of a FB PIF, which I have really enjoyed. If you don't mind me deciding who to PIF to, and not require them to keep it going (though I'll encourage it), then count me in!

Anonymous said...

what a great idea

Cass said...

Count me in for the PIF. :D

Beth of The Linen Cat said...

This is a great idea. I'm a laptop only user these days but I know plenty that still use a mouse so might borrow this one for Christmas gifts.

Just read your comment on my blog - thanks :) and I agree, I was rather disappointed by the MM content this month, not a lot of what interests me for a fiver but I figure that's maybe just my tastes? Very happy to be in there though. Bethx