Friday 15 June 2012

baby soft blocks

I'm back!  Maybe only briefly though... the pressure isn't off yet.  I've had a nightmare week at work, including a migraine on Wednesday that made me miss my glass class.  My doctor was incredibly helpful about my migraine situation, offering me more drugs... hmmm, not going to solve the problem, is it love?  Anyway, I'm not here to rant about the NHS, though I might rant briefly about the 2-hour traffic jam tonight on my way home from work.  Apparently a tree fell on a bus (I have no idea if anyone was hurt) several miles from the road I was on.  The entire city was gridlocked.  It was also chucking it down.  Not pleasant driving, though I should be thankful I wasn't on that bus...

Right, back to the matter at hand.  I pinned this tutorial for baby soft blocks at Zaaberry a while ago and decided to make them (instead of finishing the million and one WIPs I have going on or even starting on the bathroom curtains) last weekend.  Or was it the weekend before that?  It might have been.


Choosing the fabric involved creating a massive mess in my craft room which I did actually get round to tidying it up.  Throwing it all in a cupboard and closing the door is tidying up, isn't it?  I took a progress shot after I'd sewed the squares together.

Yep, that's right, I decided to make 6.  You know by now what I'm like. Why make anything easy for myself?
I'd seen somewhere a method of making jingle bells work in a rattle was to put them in a plastic container.  Having searched my craft room and, you've guessed it, made a right mess, I found a single solitary jingle bell.  I improvised.  Some tubs are filled with beads, others with sequins and one with bottle caps.  The long thin tubes are for another project that I will show you when it's finished (so about February 2015 then).


Sewing them up was fairly easy.  The machine bit anyway.  As ever my seams were off which made the corners a little tricky, but hey, my nephew is 14 weeks old, he's not likely to criticise my sewing.  Not until he's at least 3 anyway.


Above are the blue blocks and below are the white blocks.  Most of my novelty fabrics seem to be white.

Each and every single one of the 36 panels and each and every one of the 20 ribbons is different. All the fabrics are cotton though. I decided to stick with different patterns and a riot of colour rather than varying textures.



One of these blocks was supposed to be green.  As I was sewing it up I realised only 2 panels were green and the others were yellow.  I sense a new project coming on...  The most difficult bit about this project is knowing how much to stuff them and sewing the final seam.  It's hand stitched of course and none of the corners met at all!

Right then my dears, I shall bore you no more.  I'm going to spend the next couple of hours reading what people blogged about last week (yes, I'm behind!) whilst hubby shouts at the TV.   England are playing Sweden.  I don't give a flying monkey but I'm being subjected to it anyway.  Oh no, I've just realised that I'm probably expected to cook dinner.  Damn!  I hate cooking.  Anyone want to bring me some food??

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Love these soft blocks! Your nephew is a lucky boy :)

Celtic Thistle said...

These look like fun, your nephew will love them! Sorry to hear about your nightmare week, hope your weekend is a lot better. Have seen the forecast though and think even finishing your bathroom will be more attractive than venturing out!

mdgtjulie said...

LOL, Wendy, I'm usually the one shouting at the TV!!! Hope you've made dinner and enjoyed it. (If you cook, does he have to clean up then?) Your baby blocks are darling. I love the colors!!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

The baby blocks look fabulous, Wendy!!! Gorgeous fabrics!!! I'm sure they'll be well used and I doubt that your nephew will comment on the odd corner that doesn't meet. Can't help with the dinner, sorry... I don't cook! And it might take a while to reach you if I did... LOL!!!

Mistea said...

Gorgeous blocks - how lucky is your little nephew.

Enjoy the weekend

Peli said...

oh these are so cute!!!!
i might try and make one myself but i dont think it'll be that pretty...

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

So cute - I'm sure my big kids would play with them as much as my baby!

Catherine said...

Fab ideas - very pretty too

Kim Vij said...

These turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing! I've created a post about using blocks with babies and creating personalized photo blocks that I thought your'e viewers might find helpful too. http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2011/10/baby-time-make-your-own-blocks.html

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

How cute are these?! Thanks for sharing these at our Handmade Tuesdays party.

Anonymous said...

My little one would love these!

I would love for you to share this at my Flaunt It Friday Link Party. Make sure you enter for the great giveaway too! :) http://www.blissfulbucketlist.com/2012/06/flaunt-it-friday-2.html

Sarah@
www.blissfulbucketlist.com

Unknown said...

These are awesome! I really need to make some for my little guy. Thank you for sharing them!

Unknown said...

I am a migraine warrior myself so I can feel your pain... we know too much medicine is not good but there are times when a woman has to do what she's got to do when migraine strikes: drink that pill! lol. kidding aside, i really love how these turned out. so cute! I am definitely pinning this. thanks for sharing and have a fab weekend!

Hugs,
Lelanie

to-sew-with-love.com
tocookwithlove.com
villaportillo.blogspot.com