Saturday 18 August 2012

FNSI results - August

Handmade by Heidi


Good morning ladies!  I've just popped in quickly to write this post, then I'm off to get my hair cut.  I haven't had my hair cut since just after my wedding.  I got married in April 2010.  Ooops.  It's starting to resemble a mop and somedays I look like a scarecrow (albeit a rather rotund scarecrow) and other days I look more like the Wild Woman of Borneo... time to get it cut!

Last night I played along with FSNI hosted by Handmade by Heidi and Crafty Vegas Mom.

Except I didn't sew.  No.  I had planned to, I was going to handstitch some felt flowers for which I was pretty sure I had a pattern in one of the craft books downstairs.  I didn't.  I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs.  Yes, I am that lazy but in my defence I'm always tired on a Friday night and I just had the week from hell at work.

I had, however left my felting supplies and books on the dining room table.  6 paces.  I could manage that.  I wanted to make myself a brooch, I love brooches but have so few of them.


Enter my needlefelted butterfly.  It's taken from Wool Pets by Laurie Sharp.  I love it.  But... it has two major flaws.


It's bigger than I wanted, and it's too thin.  I decided to try again.


I tried to make this one thicker and smaller and ended up making it thicker and wonkier!  Attempt number 3.


I succeeded in size, but perhaps not the shape.  I thought I'd have a go at decorating it anyway.  I do quite like it and may add a brooch back.  People seeing me wearing it will probably think I'm bonkers, but no change there then.


Still in a feltingly mood and hooked on the return of Sharon to Eastenders not to mention the saga between Ben and Shirley, I got out Quick and Clever Felting by Ellen Kharade and flicked through.  I found this paisley motif as part of a felted purse.  I thought it would look nice as a brooch.  I needle felted the white base, added in the purple and turquoise elements (the turquoise is a LOT more vibrant than in the picture, I just couldn't get the colour right) and then hand stitched on some beads.  So I did sew for the FSNI!


I thought you might like to see the back of a needle felted piece - quite funky!  I think I will add a brooch back to this one.  I don't like the white I chose at the base, but overall I think it works.  Am I deluded??  So, that's two more for my Craft Book Challenge.  It's been ages since I made anything from a book other than Zakka Style!

Right, I'm off to get those split ends removed...  I may be quite some time...




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you little felted butterflies. I think they all turned out great.

Hope you have a fun, relaxing time at the hair salon.

JoJo said...

I am just loving that paisley! How do you needle felt? Are you using existing felt pieces or making your own from yarn?

Allie said...

LOVE the butterflies, and the paisley motif - that's something I've never tried but love the look of. Well done girl. The embellishments are awesome.

I don't think I've had my hair cut by anyone but me in about 10 years....and it shows, lol. I want to see a pic of your new do!

Unknown said...

I just LOVE your paisley motif. I have had a similar idea and I've done a number of designs, but never actually got around to making one. Yours is stunning. I love the beadwork, just perfect.
Becky x

Kara @ Petals to Picots Crochet said...

Great job! I am on such a needlefelting kick right now ... now I have more to add to the list of things I want to make :)

Nancy said...

I have always wanted to try needle felting. I think your butterfly and paisley swirl turned out cute.

Unknown said...

wow! i can't believe that it has been wayyyy over a year since you have had your hair cut! I don't even know what I would do!
but I am sure it will look lovely =).
really, I thought those butterflies looked great! But it pays to be particular! Great job decorating! You are quite the crafty lady!
have a great day!
~Morgan
p.s. feel free to join me as I continue my beauty series on my blog, a post every day on what makes you beautiful, and ends on the 24th with a giveaway! =)

StasaLynn said...

I love the paisley.... and I have the same question as JoJo.....

You are doing a great job! (I like the white background - helps the beads really pop out!)

Take care,
Stacey

Rosa said...

Oh Wendy - you really are very talented:-)
Hair? Uhhh... I need a haircut too, but just hate going.
Just love your writing:-)

Highland Monkey's said...

I like the butterflys they are cute. Paisley you can;t go wrong with. I like the blue centre and bead decoration. I've got all my felting bits now so going to give it a go.

Sandra :) said...

I haven't gotten to the salon since last November - I have to keep trimming my bangs because they hang in my eyes, lol. I'll be the Old Lady Wild Woman of Borneo, LOL!

Love your butterflies, but that paisley KILLS me - the beads are such a perfect touch!