Friday, 31 October 2014

October update and Art Deco wallhanging update

October did not go as planned.  I spent the first week of the month at the Manor House learning all manner of new craft techniques and came home feeling inspired.  It didn't translate to challenge finished though!


Needlequest

This month was 3d stitches - Sorry Elizabeth, I just ran out of time this month.

Something New for 2014

I've added a lot of links to the party as I tried so many new things including using a scroll saw and silk painting


A Lovely Year of Finishes

I had listed my Art-Deco wall hanging again.  Again I failed to get it done, but I did make progress!  I spent an hour quilting it, that's all.  I did straight lines radiating out from the "sun", but I didn't want to cross the black lines or quilt in the pink/red sections, so it was lots of stopping and starting.  I didn't backstitch as it would be too visible so that left me with...



Hundreds of ends!



I'm happy with how it looks though.  I thought I might have to buy some thread to match the coloured sections and quilt over them too, but I don't think it needs it.


The lines are closer together in some areas, but I'm not inviting any members of the Quilt Police for tea, so I'm not worrying about it.



I do have a confession.  Those hundreds of ends?  I didn't bury them.  I took the top thread to the back and tied them in pairs with the bobbin threads.  Yep, cheating.


But the back looks a  mess anyway.  Not only is the black line quilting a mess, there are puckers galore and this hole!  Not sure where it came from!


See, a mess.  Who cares, it'll be up against the wall!

Craft Book Sew along


I was able to join in with my amigurumi bunny no. 27.


 Rainbow Scrap Challenge

This month is brown/black/grey. I didn't even sort my scraps out.  And I still haven't finished the scrap basket for red!  

Smalls SAL

This I did manage!  I started and finished my Wesley and Buttercup cross stitch



2014 FAL Q4

I won't bore you with the list again, nothing got finished and only the Art-Deco wall hanging and Cuzco got worked on.  Yep, my Cuzco quilt is back on the table, more of that in a later post.


So that's 3/15...  hmmm, I thought my water told me October would be a good month?


Related Posts

October goalsAugust review and September goals
August goals
July review
July goals
June review
June goals
May review

May goals
April review
April goals
March review
March goals
February review 1
February review 2
February review 3
February goals
January review

12 comments:

Una said...

Your art deco wall hanging is spectacular. I would have done the same thing with the ends!

Rachel said...

When does anything ever go as planned?
The hanging looks good - I see the unevenness you point out, but as you were creating radiating lines I'm not surprised they happened, and the quilted white contrasts prettily with the unquilted colours.

Flickenstichlerin said...

The Art-Deco Wallhanging looks great, and you are right, who cares about the back, when it is against the wall. Great projects, all of them.
Greetings,
Sylvia

madfabriholic said...

Love that Wesley and Buttercup cross stitch! (And everything else, but especially that...)

Sarah in Stitches said...

I think you did a beautiful job on the quilt! I don't think the red and pink areas need quilting at all. It looks great - just put it up on the wall and forget what the back looks like! :D

Melody said...

Wow, a wonderful busy month

geeky Heather said...

Wow, you got a lot done! But that quilt is simply amazing!

SuperMomNoCape said...

You may not have a lot of finishes but you did have a grand crafting adventure with your mum! I love the quilting that you've done on the Art Deco wall hanging.

Sandra :) said...

I didn't get much done in October either - I think I got burned out on the shark gifts, and then I overdosed on Halloween bags, so I hibernated a bit :) On Wednesday I got ready to finish the last 3 little zipper bags I wanted to make (for my neighbour's 3 kiddies) but my iron died. Had to wait until Thursday for hubby to take me to buy a new one, and got the bags done that night. Good thing, too, that everything Halloween was finished early because today when I went outside to get the mail I could smell gas! Called the gas company who told me not to use anything in the house that could "spark" - I couldn't sew, or cook, or do the laundry or run the dishwasher - so I took a nap :D I think they were being overly cautious but better safe than sorry, and who minds a gas-company sanctioned nap? NOT ME! :)

Jane Galley said...

I love your quilt, well done on getting it finished. I'd enjoy seeing it on the wall

margaret said...

the art deco looks so good with the quilting just on the white I so agree do not add any more. I don`t blame you not burying all those ends it would have taken for ever. Crochet and cross stitching too you have been a busy bee

elizabethdee said...

I,ve been admiring your Art Deco quilt in is various stages, so it is a treat to see it so close to the finish line. You did a wonderful, wonderful job with the quilting. I love the design you created and how it mimics the effect of stained glass by letting the color "pop". The varying width between lines looks deliberate and creates a pleasing rhythm that doesn't compete with the piecing. (As for the back, I am with you. Let the function determine the finishing methods.) may you enjoy your wall hanging for many years to come.